Several people are displaced after a 2-alarm fire tore through a Springs apartment building early Sunday morning. The 9-11 call came in at 8:50 AM from the Chimney Ridge Apartments on Twin Oaks Drive. Investigators say careless smoking by an 82-year-old-woman is to blame for the fire that caused about $500,000 in damage. Everyone made it out okay and those who's apartments burned, are now in vacant apartments at the same complex. 6 apartments sustained major damage, some including Baily Schryber's place were a total loss.
"It sucks," said Schryber. "We don't have renters insurance so none of our stuff is covered... but we're just happy to be alive."
One firefighter sustained a scratch to his eye, was taken to the hospital, treated and released. Managers at Old Chicago on Woodman Road are taking donations to help those displaced after the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.