A disabled veteran who had been staying at an Air Force Academy campground has died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.
The rare respiratory disease is transmitted by deer mice and is most often passed to humans when they breathe in dust contaminated with the rodents' excretions.
The academy identified the man as 58-year-old Thomas Ammons. He died Wednesday night at Memorial Hospital. His hometown was not immediately available.
Academy officials say Ammons may have become infected while cleaning a confined space underneath his RV or trailer.
Epidemiologist John Pape says it is the fourth recorded hantavirus case in Colorado this year. Pape says the other patients are recovering.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.