Saturday marks the end of the field portion of basic cadet training at the Air Force Academy. AFA’s newest class will finish up training back at the Academy. Training doesn't officially end until August 2nd.
The class of 2012 is over the hump; over the hardest part.
"You're so glad that you've accomplished something not many people get to accomplish," said Austin Ollis, who comes all the way from North Carolina.
These rookies have staying power. According to an Air Force spokesman, usually 60 to 90 cadets bow out before basic training ends. This year, only 45 have left.
1303 cadets will finish basic training at the Academy.
For this class, it’s just the beginning. Four years to go.
Interesting facts about this class:
- Average GPA: 3.85
- High School President Or Vice President: 17%
- In Academic Honor society: 62%
- Athletic Letter Award Winners: 95%
- In High School Band Or Orchestra: 30%
- Boy Scouts Or Girl Scouts: 28%
- In The Civil Air Patrol: 9%
- In High School Junior ROTC: 13%