The Defense Department has identified three Fort Carson soldiers who were killed in a roadside bombing last week.
The department announced today that Staff Sergeant Curtis T- Howard The Second, Sergeant Gordon F- Misner The Second, and Specialist Thomas J- Wilwerth were killed on Wednesday.
Their Bradley Fighting Vehicle detonated a bomb near Balad, 50 miles north of Baghdad.
The three were in the First Battalion, Eighth Infantry Regiment, Fourth Infantry Division.
Misner was a former resident of Fernley, Nevada, where his mother still lives. The 23-year-old's wife and children live at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs.
Howard, who is 32 years old, is from Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Wilwerth, who is 21, is from Mastic, New York.
Information on Howard and Wilwerth were not immediately available.
Nevada congressman Jim Gibbons, who earlier today confirmed Misner's name, says Nevadans mourn the loss of a patriots but recognize the great sacrifices he made to serve the country.
The congressman says -- quote -- "Misner's death affirms our need to continue the fight against terrorists who cowardly place improvised explosive devices on the streets of Iraq to kill our soldiers and Iraqi civilians."
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.