The exact cause of a massive explosion and fire that killed three children and injured 16 at a remote Delta County lodge last month may never be known.
Sheriff Fred McKee says the fire that followed a March 19th blast at the Electric Mountain Lodge near Paonia burned so hot -- that it likely erased clues to its cause. But McKee says there's no reason to believe the explosion was anything other than an accident.
Investigators are now all-but-certain that a propane leak allowed gas to build up in the lodge's basement. An unknown source ignited the gas, blasting doors, windows and people out of the building on a Saturday afternoon.
Several visitors had reported smelling gas up to two days before the blast, but no criminal charges are expected.
The explosion and ensuing fire killed 12-year-old Leslie Ann Bilbrey and her two-year-old brother, Isaac Michael Watkins, both of Paonia -- and their 16-year-old cousin, Jamie Marie Reade, of Kansas City, Missouri.
Authorities have recovered human remains. D-N-A testing is now under way to make positive identifications.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.