KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo | 11 For Health

Parent Of Girl Who Died From Inhaling Helium Wants To Warn Others

By: AP
By: AP


WASHINGTON (AP) -- The stepfather of a 14-year-old girl who died after inhaling helium at a party is looking to warn others about the dangerous practice.

Ashley Long had told her parents she was going to a slumber party -- but instead, she and her friends went to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say there was a party with booze and marijuana -- and a tank of helium people were inhaling to make their voices sound funny. After inhaling the helium, Ashley passed out, and later died at a hospital from an obstruction in a blood vessel.

Justin Earp wants to see laws that would prevent young people from buying tanks of helium.

He spoke at a news conference in Washington by the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition. The head of the group says science teachers and other adults have been known to demonstrate the effects of helium on vocal cords. He says there was even an online game site that encouraged kids to inhale helium, talk funny and upload their videos.

The group says few states keep statistics on deaths from helium "huffing."

KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142840075