DENVER (AP) -- Three people in Colorado have tested positive for Hantavirus this year, and state officials are warning about the dangers of rodents passing the disease to humans.
Colorado Public Radio reported Monday the latest human case occurred late last month when a Delta County man was bitten by a rodent and hospitalized.
State veterinarian Elisabeth Lawaczeck says the virus can also be passed to humans by inhaling rodent feces.
She says rodent droppings should be wetted down and wiped up and not vacuumed or swept.
Hantavirus is a respiratory disease. It's rare but the mortality rate is high. Nationwide, 36 percent of people who contract hantavirus die from it.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus