KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo | 11 For Health

Parents Beg Lawmakers To Pass Carbon Monoxide Bill

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

A state House panel has delayed action on a bill that would require carbon monoxide detectors in new homes and rental properties when new tenants move in.

The House Business Affairs Committee said there was no estimate of how much the program would cost.

The bill was introduced after four members of a Denver family were found dead Nov. 28 in an Aspen-area home with high levels of carbon monoxide. Also, a 23-year-old college student died earlier this month at an apartment complex in Denver.

The student's father, Don Johnson, held up an urn containing the ashes of his daughter, Lauren, as he begged lawmakers to approve the bill.

He also held up a $20 bill, saying that's all it would have cost for a carbon monoxide detector that could've saved her life.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 37528059 - kktv.com/a?a=37528059