Everyone in the Forest View Acres Water District near Monument is being warned not to drink water straight from the tap. A valve at the water plant failed, allowing untreated surface water to fill the storage tank.
A warning released Friday says the water may contain bacteria, viruses and parasites, which can cause nausea, cramps, diarrhea and headaches.
The valve that failed will need to be replaced, and the tank is in the process of being emptied. It will still have to be disinfected, and the distribution lines will have to be flushed.
After that, samples will be pulled to ensure that the water is safe to drink. It's expected to take a few days.
Here is what customers are being advised to do:
DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST. Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.