Ban on Medical Marijuana Will Be Recounted

It was one of the most controversial questions on the ballot, and the race is so close that it will automatically be recounted.

Opponents of Question 1A, which would have banned medical marijuana dispensaries in unincorporated parts of El Paso County, questioned its constitutionality and attempted to block the voting process with a lawsuit. While their request for the votes to not be counted was overturned, in the end it may not have mattered.

At midnight Wednesday, Question 1A appeared to have passed. As of 2 p.m., additional ballots counted overnight have pushed the "no" votes slightly ahead, 50.1 percent to 49.9 percent.

There is a 331 vote differential between those who voted "yes" and those who voted "no," but with the numbers separated by less than 0.5% , the race will automatically be recounted.

El Paso County's Web site is showing that all precincts have been reported, with unofficial results.

But for now, it appears medical marijuana dispensaries may remain legal in all of El Paso County.

About 70 dispensaries and grow operations that are in unincorporated parts of El Paso County would have been affected and the close margin left business owners and their patients on edge.

"We were nervous," said Eric Hatch, owner of Hatch Wellness Center. He was watching closely because his business, which includes a dispensary and grow house, is in the county and was in jeopardy of being shut down.

"We worked everyday till the election," Hatch said.

Hatch says they tried to educate voters on the benefits of medical marijuana. "If you don't allow dispensaries it goes back to the neighborhoods and houses," Hatch said.

Medical marijuana patients like, Megan Higgins, were also relieved to see Wednesday mornings results. "I was so afraid that I wasn't going to be able to see my same caregiver. I was up all night worrying about it," Higgins said.

The results right now are still unofficial and it will take about two weeks for the Clerk and Recorders Office to certify them. And because they are so close, less than 1 and a half percent, by law there will be an automatic recount.

We're told that recount will take place in a couple of weeks once the results are official.

• by Bluemoon Location: Colorado Springs on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    I agree with Deluxe 100%.As for Josh, thank you for voting no for the sake of not only your mother, but for the rest of the people suffering with pain and what ever else MJ is helping them with. I believe the community should recognize that MJ is here to stay and it's not going to go away becuase some uneducated people want it out of their neighborhoods. MJ has been here longer than we have and I know for a fact that it has many medicinal benefits. I see so many patients feeling better, being able to cope with life for another day. MJ is not a gateway drug...cigarettes and alcohol were the gateway drug for me and is for our children today. I made the government rich to kill me.
  • by deluxe Location: colo spgs on Nov 5, 2010 at 05:53 AM
    Troy : LOLOLOLOL excellent comment. Its not even 7am but that already made my day. Thanks buddy!
  • by Troy Location: COS on Nov 4, 2010 at 06:42 PM
    Jyssi, you're wasting your breath. People who are still against marijuana are too thick-headed, childish, self-assured, self-righteous, arrogantly ignorant, and careless to understand the reality about marijuana. Even if they do understand it, they're too proud to accept its reality and will never snap out of their foolishness. It's like trying to get a baby to do anything other than whine.
  • by Jyssi Location: Colorado springs on Nov 4, 2010 at 02:21 PM
    Hello Josh, This is in regards to the "that tells me that either people don't care, or everyone that voted was a user of this!!!!!". You Couldnt be more wrong about this. I am 20 years old and i am not a user!! I voted no 1A for 2 reasons. 1 is the $50,000 in tax money they pay the city each month! That will help out with children summer activities and with the flowers in the meadians and also putting trashcans and bathrooms back in the parks! The 2nd reason is for my mom she has fibromyalgia and has had it since 2001. She hasnt been able to keep a full time job or do anything go to the doctor and sleep since 2001. And now that she has been using Medical Marijuana for a year now. She now has a full time job and can do things with her family! She doesnt smoke all the time just at night and it helps out her pain all day long. So if it helps out my mom and helps out my city then I am all for the Medical Marijuana Centers!! So josh maybe you need to do more research on the subject! Thx, J
  • by deluxe on Nov 4, 2010 at 09:49 AM
    If you consume the plant, such as make a tea or tincture from it, it does not give off side effects of any soft, eliminates the pain and is non addictive, because it does not have effects in the brain checmically. But by only extracting the opiate and having who knows what else put in with the plant, thats what causes the negative side effects, including addiction. Blame the government. The governemnt created those pills, but GOD created the plant. Everything we need is here, and each plant (which all perscriptions come from) has what is needed to balance its stronghold effects. I suggest that before you argue something you know nothing about, do some research so you can sound halfway intelligent. And if you want to blame anyone for the MMJ issue blame the doctors who collect absurd amounts of innocent people and sign the papers. My health insurance pays my doctor for my license just like a regular office visit, I have years of med records but no more side effects from government pills!
  • by deluxe on Nov 4, 2010 at 09:44 AM
    Josh, again your ignorance shows. How many registered voters are in El Paso county? Look at the department of health website, I posted the link below already. Look at the amount of patients there are in El Paso county, it is barely over 6k I think. As compaired to the amount of registered voters as compared to the amount who voted No on 1a. It is not only MMJ patients who voted No on 1a. It is mothers,fathers,businessmen, students etc who DONT want marijuana back in the neighborhoods and on the streets and who DO WANT it taxed like everything else. Agreed upon that perscriptions are abused, and if you watch the news and go to the DEA website the most abused pill and drug epedemic is Vicodin, aka norco, aka hydrocode, etc. Narcotic pain pills come from two plants, namely Papaver somniferum (poppy) and Lactuca Virosa (wild lettuce). The opiate properties are extracted from the plants and manufacuted into what we know as pain pills. They have awful side effects.
  • by josh Location: colo spgs on Nov 4, 2010 at 07:09 AM
    ok then us as the voters need to put this on the ballot so we have this federally regulated and taxed like the rest of them. Not saying it is not used for good purposes. It needs to be regulated because people abuse it just like any other script or drug out there. And besides less than a third of the el paso county population voted on this. that tells me that either people don't care, or everyone that voted was a user of this!!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    Q, I think the "unincorporated El Paso county" is any part of El Paso county that is not designated as a city or township.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 3, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    I don't understand why people have such an issue with this. The problem of people getting MMJ licenses that don't need them is an issue with the doctors, not the dispenseries. MMJ is no worse for you than percocet and vicodin. The current pain medications have so many side effects and usually make you feel worse...sure you might not have the pain, but is feeling like you're gonna puke or pass out worth it? 'Cuz that's what these medications do to people...MMJ doesn't. Don't punish the people that legitimately use and need MMJ. Punish the doctors that give the papers to people that don't actually need it. I went to MY doctor for my card...not one that will sign the papers after 5 minutes of meeting you.I have an established relationship with my doctor and she's been trying to manage my pain for several years with other meds...the side effects of the other meds aren't worth the small amout of relief they provide. If you get rid of dispenseries, it'll just go back to the black market.
  • by Deluxe Location: Colo Spgs on Nov 3, 2010 at 08:52 PM
    Oh and "T" the average age of patients in Colo is in the 40s Not 20. http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hs/medicalmarijuana/statistics.html Lets make a deal post by me also.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106605963 - kktv.com/a?a=106605963