Springs City Council To See Many New Faces

Twenty-four hours after the ballot counting started, the make-up of the Springs city council looks very different.

Seven out of nine seats in City Council were up for grabs. For much of Wednesday, the race for District 3 between Lisa Czelatdko and Michael Merrifield was too close to call. After all the ballots were counted, Czelatdko ended with a 338 vote margin out of 20,000 votes cast.

Click here to view the current results

The race for five At-Large City Council seats was a crowded one with 16 people vying for the wins. The at-large position is not a district seat, and therefore is voting on by the entire city, not just voters in the district in which they live. Incumbent Sean Paige will not reclaim his at-large seat, officially conceding Wednesday. Jan Martin, a long time councilmember, will keep her position.

"There's a lot of ways to lead in Colorado Springs and I'm going to do it,” said Paige. “I was appointed to city council and I was honored to serve on city council it was a great experience so I'm really happy to have had the experience and really honored to have served."

In a statement Wednesday, Paige said that he "took the job seriously and tried to make a difference every day."

Martin is excited to be working with a new council but says this is a turning point for the city.

“I know that they will all want to work together to move the city forward and we are just poised in Colorado Springs to move forward I think we elected some great people tonight,” Martin said.

After all the votes were counted, these are the top five out of 16 candidates for the At-Large seats:

Jan Martin
Merv Bennett
Val Snider
Brandy Williams
Tim Leigh

Democrat Val Snider collected the third most votes for city council and says he's excited to get to work.

"I would say the word is refreshed. it's over and I'm actually going to start working the job so I'm looking forward to working and not campaigning," said Snider.

Brandy Williams was also elected and hopes to help promote businesses in the Springs. She also excited to start working with the other members elected. "(I feel) very good, I've talked to all of them along the campaign trails and I'm looking forward to working with all of them," Williams said.

Merv Bennett says the focus is going turn to fiscal responsibility.

“We are very fiscally conservative in knowing how absolutely every dollar is spent in the city and is done in a manner that is the best use of those dollars,” Bennett said.

Tim Leigh pulled in the fifth and final seat for at large council.

“We had a good campaign platform we executed in all aspect of the campaign you go out and do the job and kind of let the dust settle to see how things turn out and it worked out for us,” Leigh said.

The remaining candidates are below:

Bill Murray
Dan "R12" Reifschneider
Gretchen Kasameyer
Helen Collins
Dawn Lloyd
Douglas Bruce
Tony Carpenter
Sean Paige
Thomas "Tony" Exum Sr.
Richard Bruce
Ed Bircham

In a controversial decision, five of these members created a team, a "Reform Team", and encouraged voters to vote them in as a team if they believe in their collective message: "Turn around the city." That Reform Team is compromised of Douglas Bruce, Ed Bircham, Helen Collins, Gretchen Kasameyer and Richard Bruce. Opposition argued that since it was a bi-partisan election, the team violated the election rules and acted as a party. None of those candidates ended up in the top five.

Besides District 2 with an open seat, District 3 had one up for grabs this year as well.

City Council District 2 candidates and their votes:

Angela Dougan 8,141
David M. Jensen 1,940
Mike Terry 5,521
Larry C. Bagley 4,184

• by Anonymous on Apr 8, 2011 at 08:32 PM
    Rebecca, As a matter of fact I am more of a conservative. I believe that an efficient government, cutting waste out of the budget and working for the benefit of the community. Doug would eliminate taxes if he could. He had one good idea many years back then, in my opinion he snapped. Taxes should be fair and are necessary for the provision of services to the community as a whole. If you want to change this country for the better stop aligning yourself with the ‘political parties’ that have managed to establish themselves in government to benefit the ‘Party’. Both the Democrat and the Republican organizations in America are focusing on their interests not the interest of the people of the USA. Here is a noble thought “a government by the people for the people…” Sadly this is no longer the case, we have become a country where the Donkey’s fight the Elephants for power and the people suffer. No, I am more conservative in my thinking and voting but that does not include voting for people who would cripple our city by protecting their interests or the interests of their “Party”
  • by Shay Location: COS on Apr 6, 2011 at 03:24 PM
    I'm pleased that the citizens of Colorado Springs picked candidates who will look towards the future and not the past. My faith in voters has been reaffirmed since the Reform candidates were not elected. I can't imagine 20 people, let alone 20,000 voting for Ed Bircham! Get the message: Go away, Dougie Bruce.
  • by Rich Location: C/S on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Skorman for strong mayor? Please, give me a break. Just listening to him doesnt give me much confidence he should be earning our tax money for pay. There must be some wealthy liberals out there who will be trying to get their influences endorsed. And that's a scaring thought. If you think Rivera is weak dont vote for Skorman. Steve Bach is the strong candidate.
  • by annonymous Location: c/s on Apr 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    @Rebecca: Not being nasty but don,t worry things won,t change. Taxes will raise no matter what, stricter guns laws,well that will continue the same no matter what kind of laws they pass because criminals will get guns and we the good guys who can pass the requirerments to purchase a gun, pay to go through a concealed weapons permit safety class will continue ( as bad as it sounds for your own safty PACK) to carry and as far as the gays unfortunatly they will just keep on causing there own problems as usual.I am a registered Republican but I still believe in voting for the right one. Just be thankful that Rivera will be gone and that,s truly a blessing of it,s own. Hope he just packs up and gets out of dodge.Running into him would still be enough to ruin your day.
  • by David Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 6, 2011 at 07:21 AM
    Rebecca...think you might be coming across as a bit of a sore loser? I'm thinking it might be nice to see streetlights and maintained parks for a change. To quote Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka... "You lose! Good day, sir!"
  • by Rebecca Location: Colorado Springs, CO on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    All I can say is the people from Colorado Springs deserve exactly what they voted for on Tuesday. Higher taxes (fees), stricter gun laws and gays get what they want. For those council members identified as Republican of the 5 that are leading, there is only one that has even a minimal ideology of the Republican party, the other 4 are as far from Republican as the Pacific and Atlantic oceans are. Their ideology is so far left it is a joke to even identify themselves as Republicans. Thanks liberal voters for screwing us again.
      by Mark on Apr 6, 2011 at 03:20 PM in reply to Rebecca
      Rebecca, You're welcome! If what you say comes to pass - especially the part about citizens paying for services - perhaps Colorado Springs will return to being the beautiful, vibrant city it was when I moved here in 1957.
  • by Rick Location: CSP on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    I agree it is time that Doug Bruce retires from the limelight. He should also be banned from speaking at future City Council Meetings, or at least be held to the same rules that apply to others trying to speak. I attended a Council meeting last year where the 'weak' Mayor set the ground rules that all speakers make their point in 10 minutes or less. After this the 'weak' Mayor and inept City Council cowered behind their microphones and the front table as the 'Mighty' Mr. Bruce rambled aimlessly on for over 1-1/2 hours over his latest cause. After he departed they regained their courage and prompted several people to 'wrap it up' after speaking for a few minutes.
      by Rebecca on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM in reply to Rick
      You must be a liberal Rick since you believe anyone should be silenced. Infringing on citizens rights how novel an idea, except when it is someone you don't like.
        by Nick on Apr 6, 2011 at 09:49 AM in reply to Rebecca
        Rebecca please feel free to leave with all the other Bruce Lemmings.
  • by Mel Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 5, 2011 at 07:27 PM
    Angie Dougan, You have consistently failed to properly manage your homeowners association respectfully, consistently, most importantly fairly and with diplomacy. I seriously question your ability to serve in any capacity on city government.
  • by Bobby Location: COS on Apr 5, 2011 at 01:01 PM
    Really? Calling Mexicans illiterate peasents? That seals it, he's got my vote!
      by Reason to do drugs on Apr 5, 2011 at 03:09 PM in reply to Bobby
      More dangerous than a driver under the influence, more dangerous than meth, more dangerous than any terrorist, is an idiot with a vote.
        by Rebecca on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM in reply to Reason to do drugs
        Only reply I can make is Amen.
  • by NoBruce on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    At least someone has succeeded in quieting Douglas Bruce... http://www.thedenverchannel.com/politics/15123360/detail.html
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119023304 - kktv.com/a?a=119023304