Possible Confusion Over El Paso County Ballot Questions

By: KKTV News Email
By: KKTV News Email

When you vote on some of the El Paso county ballot questions, be sure you know what you're voting for.

There are three questions on term limits for the 4th District Attorney, County Commissioners, and some other county offices.

One viewer contacted 11 News Monday about possible confusion because of the way the questions are worded on the ballot.

The three questions, 1A, 1B, and 1C ask if people in those offices should, "...be limited to serving three consecutive terms, a modification of the current limits," but they don't say that those current limits are two terms.

Sherri Brunzell had asked some of her friends who'd voted early about what they really wanted to do when they voted for the issues, and says "I explained to them that by voting to limit the terms they were actually extending terms, and that upset them. They felt like they'd been misled."

If you do want to let county commissioners and the others to stay in office longer, vote yes. If you don't want the limits to change, vote no.

El Paso County Clerk and Recorder Bob Balink says information about these questions were not provided in the county election mailer that went out to residents because, by law, the only issues to be described in that mailer, are questions that would raise taxes. That rule was put in place by the State Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (or TABOR).

• by Sheri Location: El Paso County on Nov 3, 2010 at 08:24 PM
    The wording was completely misleading. You can bet I'll be voting to boot two term commissioners etc. next time we vote. I'd like to know who is responsible for the wording that appeared on the ballots. I know most folks thought they were limiting these positions rather than extending them. The wording should have been clear...are you in favor of extending term limits from two terms to three terms. I guarantee you the outcome would have been different.
  • by K Location: Peyton on Nov 2, 2010 at 07:45 PM
    Unfortunately I was fooled by this wording. I read the blue book but did not know about these other issues until I turned up to vote. I voted yes when I should have voted no. Shysters. Oh well, live and learn.
  • by C Location: Fountain on Nov 2, 2010 at 01:35 PM
    The ballot itself is kind of tricky but the Gazette always publishes a packet that give the exact wording of the amend. and some arguements for and against. If more people knew and read these maybe they would better understand. To me the ones mailed too biased and make everything sound more extreme than it really may be. Too late for this election but before we know it Presidential elections will be here. Fun Fun
  • by Mike Location: Colorado Springs on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    I read the ballot issues we get in the mail and try to keep up with the wording, but I would have been one of those who might have gotten caught voting "yes" on this thing. Thank you for the information, KKTV! Just think of how many people ARE voting "yes" on this issue when they really want to say "no"? Can we throw that ballot item's results out for misrepresentation? Our government is not supposed to trick the average person into voting the way it wants them to. I feel like I am a character in "Animal Farm" now.
  • by mr x Location: se spgs on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    you can expect this from the scum bags that have it printed this way to off set you when determining the question u want to answer. it's already made up to be printed that way. it's a typical ploy and remember it comes from the crooked people that we are to believe are doing the right thing. hogwash and BS to them.
  • by Jean on Nov 2, 2010 at 09:12 AM
    I agree--Chicanery!! Terrible wording and very deceitful.
  • by Charlie Location: C/S on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:29 AM
    Erin, rg I'm with you on this one. I think we should propose that clear, concise verbiage need be presented in these proposal/ammendments. I mail in ballot anymore, that way I can read the blue book, access the internet and make an informed decision.
  • by Richard Location: COS on Nov 2, 2010 at 07:45 AM
    If people only knew the meaning of the word "limited", there wouldn't be confusion. Limited does not mean reduce or less (it sets a boundary not to be exceeded). Get a dictionary and use it.
  • by Nath Location: Colo Spgs on Nov 2, 2010 at 05:19 AM
    Blame any confusion on whoever wrote the proposed change in term limits ballot issue, it could have been worded differently to make it simple and clear. Chicanery isn't limited to just political campaign ads you know.
  • by Erin S Location: Security on Nov 2, 2010 at 02:04 AM
    My husband and I caught this one when we mailed in our ballots earlier this month. We thought at the time that it is a shame there are no rules requiring that ballot items not only present what they are about but a full disclosure of what would change when/if they are passed, or what the current status is, or something. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to resort to the internet while voting so as to make sure they fully understand what their vote will mean after all.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106495953 - kktv.com/a?a=106495953