Long Lines Delay Counts

By: Shannon Brinias Email
By: Shannon Brinias Email

Long lines at polling places in El Paso County delayed the tally of votes Tuesday. Election results in El Paso County were not released until after 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

As of 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, all 102 polling places were closed, but that came after a long delay, after four polling locations didn't finish their process by calling the Clerk and Recorder to officially report that they were closed.

After those ballots were cast, the mail-in ballots and early voting ballots began being tallied and released, along with all the ballots collected from people who voted in person Tuesday.

There was a state-wide problem with a voter database known as SCORE, which caused some delays as well. At Centennial Hall in Colorado Springs, there were about 50 people who turned up to get replacement ballots. They had to wait while the information from the database was checked.

Several major Colorado counties resorted to using provisional ballot envelopes because they ran low on signature envelopes for people turning in mail ballots on Tuesday.

The ballots cast as provisional ballots on Tuesday in Adams, Larimer and Arapahoe counties may not be counted for several days until the voter signatures can be verified.

Secretary of State Bernie Buescher said most voters won't be affected.

(The Associated Press contributed content to this story)

• by WTF Location: CoSprings on Nov 3, 2010 at 08:43 AM
    It was sooo nice to go to the polling place and see no mexicans or blacks in line voting. I dont think they should be allowed a voice anyway.
  • by Ralph Location: Colorado Springs on Nov 3, 2010 at 01:05 AM
    I moved precints in April and when I went in with my daughter today to vote was supprised that at my new polling place all precints were lumped together by alphabet instead of like when I had prevously voted in by old polling place when each precint had it own check in table. Is this the new process? If so I think they should go back to each precint at a polling place having it's own check in. At our new polling place they had a long line for A-M, but for N-Z (luckily our last name begins with S) they had no line. To me this seems to be less efficent than each precint at a polling place checking in there own people instead on 2 people checking everyone for every precint. I can understand wanting to use fewer election judges to save money but it is not very effective in my opinion and is probally the cause of the long lines to vote. I think they should go back to each precint having it's own election judges to check in people it will go much faster in my opinion.
  • by Proamerica on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:53 PM
    More numbers and less interviews please. Have no idea what's going on as numbers are at the bottom of the screen in 10 point type
  • by Dody Location: Colorado Springs on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:50 PM
    Am I suddenly the oldest person in the USA, or the only one with a memory? With only 10, or 20 or 30 % of precincts reporting, newspeople across Colorado and across the nation are trying to say they know the winners! Am I the only one who remembers we went to bed in the 1940s thinking that handsome devil Thomas Dewey was our President ... only to wake and fnid it was really the little haberdasher Harry S. Truman??? I am going to bed. I will check again around noon tomorrow!
  • by Brian Location: Springs on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:36 PM
    Once again Colorado Springs inability to get the voting results out makes this the joke of Colorado!
  • by SK Location: Manitou Springs on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:10 PM
    Yeah Associated Press, good responsible journalism on reporting Hickenlooper as the "victor" of Colorado when only less than 20% of the precients reporting....
  • by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2010 at 07:24 PM
    "Election officials expect it could be another 8:30 p.m. before they're able to release the first numbers from the county." What?
  • by Nicki on Nov 2, 2010 at 07:09 PM
    I wonder if combining polling locations is the cause of the long lines. I didn't wait in line at 2pm today but, I could see the potential for long lines. They appeared very disorganized and more concerned about lunches.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106577098 - kktv.com/a?a=106577098