With his wife by his side, embattled GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain announced the suspension of his campaign.
Speaking at his campaign headquarters in Georgia, Cain said he was proud to have made it "in the top four" of presidential contenders--citing President Barack Obama and alluding to Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich as the other three--but felt that "false accusations" had hurt his family too much to continue on.
Cain had been dogged for weeks with sexual harassment allegations during his time as president of the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s. A few days earlier, he was accused of having a 13-year-long affair with Ginger White, of Atlanta.
"I am disappointed that it came to this," Cain said. He added that along with the harm the allegations were causing his family, it also distracted his ability to work on solutions for the American people.
Pledging not to be silenced, Cain said he would continue to be a vocal leader in the Republican party, launching cainsolutions.com as a "plan B."
"I will not be silenced, and I am not going away," Cain said.
Cain said he will be making an endorsement of a candidate in the near future. He contacted some of his GOP rivals prior to Saturday's announcement. Michele Bachmann's campaign acknowledged receiving a phone call from Cain.