Controversial Political Banners on Display in Teller County

By: Mindy Stone Email
By: Mindy Stone Email

A Teller County man is voicing his political opinion with hundreds of signs criticizing President Obama.

While his complaints target President Obama, Curtis Colligan says he's outraged by big government in general, and doesn't believe it would be any better with a republican in office.

Curtis Colligan unveiled his banners on Thursday along Highway 24 in Divide, about 8 miles west of Woodland Park.

"One of my sayings is America open wide, Obama is here to divide and I thought it was great to put in Divide, Colorado," said Curtis Colligan.

The banners are illustrated through cartoon characters of President Obama.

"He's not representing the people very well at all," said Colligan.

But not everyone is entertained.

"He's our president and I think he should be respected," said one woman.

"I think there is a fun comedic take on a sad and serious situation," said Woodland Park resident Tracy Gittings.

"All I'm trying to do is wake up everybody, so we don't pass more debt on to the next generation," said Colligan.

Colligan measures his response by the number of honks he hears from drivers.

The banners will be on display through Election Day.

Colligan says he has had requests from other states, such as New Mexico to put his banners on display there.

• by k Location: WP on Oct 31, 2010 at 02:43 PM
    Sounds like immature middle school behavior, attention seeking at best. Is this best he could come with to persuade the public to believe... what! Crude and disrespectful. What a guy!
  • by I live in Divide Location: Divide on Oct 30, 2010 at 07:29 AM
    This guy is not an economist with a plan for dealing with dept. I don't agree he is being comedic. He is a naysayer whiner with no constructive ideas. My guess is he probably is one of the guys who "wants his country back'" (you know what thats code for)
  • by Think Location: Colorado Springs on Oct 29, 2010 at 06:33 PM
    MRL and Michelle - You can't be that ignorant to believe that the debt came from just the time Bush was in office. In case you haven't noticed, the debt has been piling up long before. The president, regardless of who is in office, has the toughest job and simply cannot please every, single person. At least while Bush was in office, we got tax breaks (along with many other great things everyone likes to forget) and he certainly didn't blame debt on former presidents every time he spoke. Let's get our facts straight before speaking.
  • by Carol on Oct 28, 2010 at 08:45 PM
    What a hoot. Bush and the Republicans shove this country in the toilet while taking care of their own backsides and then they have the gall to blame President Obama for everything because they can't take responsibility for their own actions! If Mr. Colligan doesn't think a Rep could do any better - then why isn't he also putting them down?
  • by Michele Location: Colorado Springs on Oct 28, 2010 at 07:25 PM
    @Duh - Do you happen to know which party controlled the House and Senate during the majority of the Bush Administration? Do you happen to know what those Democrats have spent money on in their first year of office? I'm guessing that since you don't actually know which news station I watch, you probably don't know the accurate answer to the prior two questions either. I'm supposing your "real world" must be FoxNews? Hilarious!
  • by Duh Location: Colorado springs on Oct 28, 2010 at 06:50 PM
    Hey MRL the funny thing about what you said is the fact that our republicans haven't spent as much money on either of the wars as your democrats have spent in their first year of office. Stop watching CNN and tune into the real world!
  • by Springer Location: 80921 on Oct 28, 2010 at 06:35 PM
    How about driving our country into debt by providing wonderful services to people who are not legally in the country? That is genius!As far as the wars go- I am not in 100% agreement with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq but I would rather the money be spent on that rather than health care for everyone.
  • by Springer Location: 80921 on Oct 28, 2010 at 06:21 PM
    Why no close ups of these banners or at least quotes from the signs? How controversial are these signs? Is the FCC not going to let you put them up on your site?
  • by MRL Location: Colorado Springs on Oct 28, 2010 at 05:26 PM
    It's ironic that he accuses Obama of dividing when his banners incite division. I don't have a problem with freedom of speech but I prefer it when someone has something intelligent to say and can do it honorably. Leaving "debt" for the next generation - give me a freakin' break! That wasn't Obama my friend. That was your Republican friends who passed and continue to pass trillion dollar bills to fund two never-ending wars. I'm curious as to why it has been perfectly okay for us to save our Iraqi and Afghani friends but when we start pouring money into our own people the whining never ends.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106153958 - kktv.com/a?a=106153958