Bahr To Miss Election Night To Pick Up Adopted Daughters In China

Strong mayor candidate Brian Bahr announced Monday that he will miss Election Night next Tuesday because he'll be in China adopting two daughters.

The following is the text of the news release, in part, sent by Bahr:
"In 2009, Brian and Heather Bahr and their family began a journey of adopting two girls from China. Today, almost two years later, that dream is being realized. Brian and Heather will be leaving later this week to travel to China to finalize the adoption of their two daughters, ages 5 and 9. Due to the nature of government bureaucracy, the Bahr family has just received all the necessary approval for international adoption and travel. Their approvals are time sensitive and their simple desire is to get their girls out of the orphanages they are in and bring them home as soon as possible."

Even in spite of the imperfect timing, and the hotly contested Mayoral race, the decision was simple for Bahr who said, "I consider traveling to China to pick up our daughters and to finalize the adoption as the most important thing I could be doing right now, regardless of whether there are political consequences. After so many months of waiting, we're grateful to finally receive travel approval. We are excited to meet our daughters, to embrace them, and to bring them home!"

Bahr and his wife Heather leave this Friday and will return in mid-April in time for a mayoral runoff election scheduled for May 17, if it's necessary.

Bahr released an open letter www.SpringsMayor.com/China to citizens of Colorado Springs relating their incredible journey and why they are leaving for China at the end of this week."

Kyle Fisk, Bahr's campaign manager, went on to say, "Brian Bahr is still running for Mayor. We ask all our fine supporters to rally around the bold vision and practical plan that Brian has been talking about for over eight months. Tell your friends, neighbors and co-workers about Brian. Make sure to cast your vote for Bahr before April 5th. Colorado Springs needs a Mayor who puts first things first and who will place core values before politics. This is a real-life example of why Colorado Springs would be fortunate to have a principled leader like Brian Bahr as our next Mayor."

• by Velnon Location: CS on May 30, 2011 at 06:13 PM
    I know Brian personally and all these talks of political slander are just wrong he is a honorable guy with straight intentions he wants to adopt from china because they need the help
  • by jennifer on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:17 AM
    @native: This guy is not a native.. in fact native Coloradans (3 generations or more) are the biggest independents you will ever meet...alot of them smoke and drink...and dont care what you do as long as you leave them alone most of these conservatives are from kansas or texas
      by native on Mar 30, 2011 at 03:35 PM in reply to jennifer
      jennifer: FYI I am a 3rd generation Colorado Native and pretty proud due to the fact that alot of people around here can,t say thay. I don,t smoke or drink but I can swear up a storm.
  • by annonymous Location: c/s on Mar 30, 2011 at 08:04 AM
    Gee. It,s also such an amazing thing that so many of these lucky foster children have been ignored in such a fashion that they seem to slip through the system and poof there gone. As for the great social workers, advocates, and other regulators that are supposed to follow up on these cases I think your not to amazing. I,m not saying all but there seems to be to many cases that just aren,t followed up on. I understand many of these people have heavy case loads ,so ask for help or reach out to some one Don,t just do nothing so we have to read about the horror stories that do seem to follow up. Your reputation isn,t good.Believe me our foster homes our much to be desired. Once again I,m not saying all because I know of some good honest people helping but you can,t imagine what the bads ones are like. The children in our home land need a lot more love and attention than you thing. The system isn,t there best friend. Read the papers and watch the news.I know there are people that will not like what I wrote but they call it reality.
  • by Cathy Location: College Station, TX on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    We are in the process of adopting from China and I can tell you that we chose China instead of a local adoption because the children over there have almost NO HOPE of having a normal life if they aren't adopted. Kids here are often in foster homes. They get an education and can make something of themselves. Over there the vast majority of children will end up as drug addicts, sex slaves or comitting suicide. They don't receive good medical care or much of an education. We hope to adopt a child with minor/correctable needs. Can you imagine a child here living his/her whole life with a cleft lip? It just doesn't happen here (I'm sure there are exceptions, but really, how many children have you seen with such a condition?)Over there they are abandonded because of such things. It is heartbreaking. And FYI, it costs about $25-30,000 to adopt from China, so I don't know that's it's cheaper than a U.S. adoption. I wish I could vote for Bahr.
      by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM in reply to Cathy
      Those foster home kids are so lucky aren't they?
      by Paula on Mar 31, 2011 at 04:10 AM in reply to Cathy
      Please tell me that is not what you're going to tell your child about why you chose China. That would make the child feel like a charity case. My daughter is from China. We chose China because we did not want to go out of birth order (already had a child) and after the heartbreak I already had, we did not want unification to be the primary goal which is the main point in US foster care. If I lived in CO and had planned on voting for Bahr before, I would certainly vote for him now. The people who feel that adopting from another country is cheaper (a great deal of the money is an international adoption stays in the US), requires less energy, waiting, etc obviously is ignorant of what's involved.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Patty, so what does being a "true" American mean?
  • by David Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Native, Explain to me how it's ok to say in one line how CS natives aren't bad, and in at least three other lines belittle and insult people, including Patty, and blame all of your problems on other people.
      by native on Mar 29, 2011 at 05:57 PM in reply to David
      David: I'm not going to say I,m sorry you don,t like our natives or our town. Bottom line ,I also tell it like it is. Americans do tend to be on the lazy side in some instances and anyone looks for the easy fix.It,s not degrading us. I,m as American as they come and just because we need and feel that we should start here in the states to help is not a sin. I,ll still defend our town and country. I,am very patriotic and appreciate our military being here. Hopefully since you don,t like us and have such a negative attitude toward the people and our town I wish you all the luck getting a transfer when you can someplace else. Hopefully you and Patty,s attitude will be better once you can leave here. Good Luck, I truley, honestly,sincerely mean that for your next assignment may or may not be so great. My problems are very small and have nothing to do with you and why you think, that is just crazy but I guess that,s your problem. I also have family and many friends in the military and I know they,re not always so happy where they are.
  • by Native Location: c/s on Mar 29, 2011 at 09:05 AM
    Patty & beenthere: Apparently you can't read well because yes you can adopt here and I AS ONE 0F MANY have and as I said earlier there just isn't enough people who are willing to put the time,money and energy into doing it here. Easy way out that,s alot of the americans way besides eating oursevles to death.I am American born and raised here, and that doesn,t make myself perfect, we are all far from perfect ,but my family(adopted & Bio),Town and country come first.We are not awful people here in Colorado Springs. Most of our awful problem it the trans plants that seem to want to push many issues and our town to the limit. Being a true american is wonderful. You talk about what kind of issues you want to bring into your home, but yet your go across the world looking for a child because it,s easier and faster. Please.....Your don,t make sense. Yes there are many children here who need homes. Do your homework. I know what I did was a good thing. I will not be backing Bahr either. This town means more to me than that. Your vote, my vote, your opinion, my opinion.
  • by mr X Location: se spgs on Mar 29, 2011 at 08:30 AM
    though it will take sometime and it won't happen during our time but can you imagine one day everyone will look alike and omg will probablly be just like one another. is that scary or what. A black person with slanted eyes that talks chinese. LMAO
  • by David Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:51 AM
    Patty, I have seen some of the most bitter, cynical people in my life since being stationed here. Congratulations, Mr. Bahr! At any rate, elect the guy based on his ability to save this town, not his choices in adoption. The residents of Colorado Springs have much more to be worried about than where this guy adopts his children. To use this otherwise happy moment for Mr. Bahr and his family for political slander is nothing more than a taseteless and unprofessional distraction.
  • by Laura Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 29, 2011 at 06:23 AM
    As an advocate for children's services, I can personally testify that children are not just readily available for adoption in this area. We work on reunification efforts first. Once all that has been exhausted, we generally have foster parents waiting in the wings eager to make these children part of their family. Show us the kids you are talking about, because they simply aren't here.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118785129 - kktv.com/a?a=118785129