UPDATE: Hickenlooper Colorado Governor-Elect

By: KKTV/Associated Press
By: KKTV/Associated Press

Democrat John Hickenlooper is Colorado's new governor elect, after a campaign in which the GOP nominee imploded and a third-party candidate made a late surge.

With the 87 percent of precincts reporting Wednesday morning, Hickenlooper has won with 50 percent of the vote.

American Constitution Candidate Tom Tancredo received 37 percent of the vote, while Republican Dan Maes received 11 percent.

Hickenlooper told a crowd of supporters that he thought his clean campaign strategy worked. He may have also benefited from the collapse of GOP nominee Dan Maes. Immigration hard-liner Tom Tancredo got in the race as a third-party candidate and couldn't overcome Hickenlooper's widespread popularity.

Maes won the Republican primary but suffered a series of campaign gaffes, including questions about his murky law enforcement history and his views on U.N. global warming conspiracies involving bicycles in Denver.

Hickenlooper refused to run attack ads against his opponents, saying Colorado's economic problems are much more serious than individual concerns.

His running mate is Joe Garcia, the president of CSU Pueblo.

Garcia said he's not an experienced politician, but he is ready for the challenge of serving with Hickenlooper. He said his experience in education will make him an asset to the governor's administration.

He replaces Democratic Gov. Bill Ritter, who decided in not to run for re-election.

• by Hickenpooper on Nov 3, 2010 at 03:44 PM
    Hola Illegal Immigrants welcome to the great state of Colorado. I hope you enjoy the amnesty citys of my state. Dont worry about ICE and dont wory about E-verify. I'm not going to enforce those laws. I'm going to give you a free pass if you get pulled over dont worry your above the law.
  • by Bert Location: West Side on Nov 3, 2010 at 02:57 PM
    Good bye Adios, with loosers like you gone we will be able to clean up our state faster. See the key is that if you are going to sit on both thumbs and wait for everyone around you to change and fix the problems you get well... exactly where we are today. But for those of us who are hilling to roll up our sleeves and physicaly change the place we will eventualy suceed and have the freedoms we are due. Furthermore when you find a state that is financialy sound let the rest of us know cause there all broke, mostly due to the forced need to shelter the lazy and needy people much like yourself. THE WHINERS. So please leave quickly and quietly and take all your fellow free loading buddies with you.
  • by Nath Location: Colo Spgs on Nov 3, 2010 at 09:39 AM
    With Hickenlooper in the governor's chair, we will move closer to becoming Colofornia. More debt, more illegals, and more radical, Progressive agendas and Maes helped John win, whether through stubbornness or design. I think the County Commissioners in every county should study the voter rolls carefully to see if there were any ineligible votes cast in this and the Senator's races.
  • by Adios! on Nov 3, 2010 at 09:37 AM
    My house lease is up January 1st. Goodbye Colorado, I have had enough. Good luck to all of you left behind. This state is soooo broke no one can fix it.
  • by Common decency Location: Colo Spgs on Nov 3, 2010 at 09:33 AM
    It's a really sad day in society when we judge and insult people that we don't even know based on one sole decision they made in their lives. Yeah I voted for Hickenlooper - but I voted for some good Republicans too. If all you're about is party lines, then you're not really thinking. And if all you can do is whine and insult people, what sort of example are you setting for your children? Whatever happened to the concept of "good sportsmanship"? There have been many times in my life when my preferred candidate didn't win. But I never insult the winner or the people who voted for that person. Take the moral high road and thank your neighbors for voting. Even if we don't all agree, voting means that we *care*. Respect that.
  • by Kevin Location: Colorado Springs on Nov 2, 2010 at 09:48 PM
    Well, now Hickenlooper and his cronies from the east coast will control Colorado.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2010 at 09:04 PM
    They are calling El Paso County blue, yet EVERY el paso county position was won by a republican. This doesn't make sense? Did they even count El Paso County's Governor votes?
  • by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:58 PM
    What an absolute shame, .....sigh..... do people have any idea, here take my paycheck and just tell me how much you think I should have, jobs??? well Colorado now borders Mexico, so... am I wrong??? huh??? am I???
  • by Anonymous on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:52 PM
    That's what happens when you let da idiots vote, oh and the looper never having to answer a tough or even semi tough question!!! He hid the last 6 months so there you go, just another faker who cannot take the heat!!!!
  • by Travis on Nov 2, 2010 at 08:39 PM
    My question is how can they call El Paso county democrat, yet they haven't updated the propositions? Don't they count all the votes at the same time? It's a sad day for Colorado. Thank goodness I'm out of CO in less than two years. Hopefully the stupid doesn't rub off the democrats onto me in those two years.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106577929 - kktv.com/a?a=106577929