UPDATE: Stolen Car Belonging To Soldier and Pregnant Wife Recovered

By: Rick Montanez Email
By: Rick Montanez Email

"There aren't really words to describe how grateful we are."

The car that was stolen from a soldier's home Sunday as his wife was in labor has been recovered Monday after an outpouring of support and awareness from the community.

The car was left running Sunday morning while PFC Primo Paragas went inside his apartment to help his wife, who was in labor, out to the car.

Paragas said the car was loaded up with a lot of the unborn baby's things. He said the car had the baby's car seat and several outfits inside.

"This is a situation that nobody should have to experience," Paragas said. He told 11 News when his wife, Serena, said she was in labor his mind began to race.

"I was thinking emergency, my wife can't walk on the ice,” he said. “She's in labor, she's hunched over in pain. Bring the car around, get her in the car and get her to the hospital."

Paragas was trying to avoid the slick ice which he slipped on a few days ago. He still has bruises from the fall. He moved the family car to a street near their apartment so Serena didn’t have to walk far. "We're on our way out the door,” he said. “I went to open the door for her and my car was gone."

The car was nowhere in sight so Paragas called 911. "It was just the most awful feeling," he said. An ambulance took Serena to the hospital, while Paragas had stayed behind to fill out a police report on the stolen car. He said paramedics gave him a voucher for a free cab ride, which is how he later got to the hospital.

"I can't imagine anyone doing anything like that," Paragas said.

The new family welcomed a healthy baby boy, Jude Russell Paragas, to the world at 6:23 p.m. Sunday.

Some of Jude's new belongings, as well as the couple’s camera and lap top were inside the car when it was stolen. Unfortunately, nothing was inside the car when it was recovered. But good news is there was no major damage to the car.

Monday afternoon, a few representatives from the Army Wives Club of Fort Carson dropped off donations to the Paragas family.

"Not everyone is bad," said Army Wives member Candice Demers. "One bad thing can happen but there are so many people out there that still want to help."

Primo and Serena were given a new car seat, a computer, a new camera, and nearly $600 in an on-line account.

"There aren't really words to describe how grateful we are," Serena said. "There are amazing people out here."

Several fire fighters from Colorado Springs fire, the same men who helped the couple Sunday morning, dropped off another car seat and a stroller. The fire fighters drove Primo to an impound lot to pick up his car.

"This was a great opportunity for us to help the family," said CSFD Lt. Dean Street. "It's supposed to be the most exciting day of your life, and to walk out and have your car gone, it's just devastating."

The couple has only lived in Colorado since last November, and they do not have any family in the Pikes Peak region. We’re told it will be a few days before family members arrive in town to help the couple.

Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 634-STOP.

The Facebook group, Army Wives Club of Fort Carson, is still collecting donations to help the family. Click the link below for information.

• by Jenn Location: CO Springs on Jan 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    I'm still shocked at the way people talk about soldiers, sailors, and airmen. I actually had someone on facebook tell me that she thinks negatively towards the military b/c her friend's husband is Army, got a free college education and lives in an apt rent free in Germany, is debt free, and never deployed. In my 8 years in the Air Force, I didn't have it THAT good, but I can't complain. Yes, we get free education, so long as we use it to advance in our career field (or so that's how I understood it, ie: I work on computers, the military won't pay for me to go to nursing school), and we're given a housing allowance. I pay rent to live in the house I live in...if I live on base, I don't get that allowance b/c the housing office takes it. I know this has nothing to do with this soldier's situation, but I think people should get their facts straight before they talk and they probably should stick to what they know.
  • by Maria Location: COS on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    to Beets and Alex: your comments are reprehensible. just for you FYI, just becuase a person is selfless enough to enlist in our armed forces, does not mean that they should just accept all the hardships that come with that service. Our soldiers and their families are experiencing 4, 5, 6, and more deployements to WAR, that is unprecedented. So if they and their family have some complaints regarding this, i think the decent thing to do is give them some slack and try a little empathy even if you can't sympathize.
  • by From a wife, to Beets on Jan 19, 2011 at 08:21 AM
    Beets, yes our military members signed up to serve! Yes, as spouses we knew what our loved ones job is all about and yes their service can come with a price we know and live with daily! But does that give others the right to compare us to breeding roaches? How many people say or would even dare say that to our police, fire fighters, ect's spouses? So what makes us, as military spouses such a good target for comments like that and much worse? Do we not deserve the same basic human decency as other's wives are shown? I find it appaling that anyone would dare speak to another human, no matter what, in the manner that Alex and others wrote to us and I don't care if it is out of frustration. We as military spouses are sick of being everyone's punching bag, becuse they are unhappy with their lives and our goverment! And I come from a long line of family that have served, so yes I highly respect those who were drafted, but please remember this, how many of them were disrespected like this too?
  • by Beets on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    Dear military folk, thank you for protecting us. Also, you signed up for the job, you know what risks you would face in case there was war. The same goes to those "married to" military spouses. You knew s/he was in the military or would join... That comes with deployments, no showers, and 3rd world living. What did you expect when you took your oath? Job security, yes, but with a price. Same goes for our police, firefighters, etc... They put themselves in harms way daily, do you see them crying about it? The only military folk who can really complain are the poor souls who were drafted. Who faced jail or war. You new military folk should pay them high honors, they had no choice, you did.
  • by To Alex on Jan 18, 2011 at 05:46 PM
    I have news for you Alex the military does NOT pay extra money for extra children. Your pay is with dependents and without dependents (and wives are dependents). So it really doesn't matter how many children they have cause it's none of your business. And if you do not like how the government is run then do something to change it. Get involved in the process do not just sit there and complain. You have NO idea what military families go through so why don't you stop judging something you do NOT understand.
  • by Fellow Airman Location: Peterson AFB on Jan 18, 2011 at 04:36 PM
    Hey Alex...do like an Army wife says and sign your name on the dotted line. We put ourselves in harms way for you to have the freedom to spout off that nonsense you just did. Military wives don't "breed like roaches"...look at the Duggar family. There are more families out there that believe in procreating until they can't anymore, and military is not one of them. Walk the walk before you talk the talk or go take your ignorance elsewhere!
  • by From a wife, to Alex on Jan 18, 2011 at 03:23 PM
    Wow Alex, why don't you quit whinning and complaining and do something about your situation? And a thought here, how do you think these service members feel about a guy like you, insulting their loved ones, while they spend 12 to 15 months at a time away from their families, putting their lives in danger or even sacrificing their lives? They are living in conditions that are far from what I bet you are living in right now, as they defend your right to say such garbage! Do you dodge IEDs, go days without a hot shower and everything else our soldiers deal daily with, and I am not talking about when you are playing the latest version of Call of Duty?! I bet not! Oh and Alex, if your job sucks so bad and you need some health care, why don't you find the nearest recruiter's office, sign your name on the line, make it through Basic training and AIT, if you can and come see how great you think our soldiers and family's have it?
  • by Erika Location: CS on Jan 18, 2011 at 01:03 PM
    @Alex You're a bitter jealous a hole. We all know what to do but sometimes fail. Why is it we the people have to always look over our shoulders instead of the hoodlums, blame them.
  • by Lisa Location: Colorado on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM
    I super offended by what Alex from Michigan said. I am a military wife and have 3 kids I do not live off the government besides being a resident on Post. My husband gets paid to much to be on Welfare or to get food stamps or let alone anything. The reason you speak we breed so much is because when our husbands are gone for long periods of time we show each other how much we miss each other and sometimes that results in a child! The reason this family got things was because we have a strong support of Military families. The military doesn't get much of anything now days let alone support from this Country whether people like it or not they protect this Country!
  • by Rebecca Location: Arlington, Texas on Jan 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    To Alex:: Congratulations, it is now 2011 and under Obamacare you can have insurance too! That I get to pay for. Idiot... Oh and congrats to the couple on their new addition:)
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113852879 - kktv.com/a?a=113852879