Student From Sabin Middle School Approached By Stranger

Another student was approached by a stranger while walking to school. Now, some parents are upset with school officials for not telling them about the incident sooner.

A girl was walking to Sabin Middle School, near Academy and Carefree, Monday morning, when a suspicious man approached her. According to police reports, the man made a statement to the victim that made her concerned for her safety.

The girl's father immediately reported the incident to the school's resource officer and police on Monday. According to a spokesperson with District 11, an announcement about the incident was made earlier in the week, and a letter was sent home to parents on Thursday.

Some parents are upset they were not notified sooner.

"It's unsettling, especially not having been told by the school district or even by the school," said concerned mom Josie Haag.

"I haven't heard a thing. This is the first time I've heard about it and I don't like it," said Rita Pickle. "We should be told right away, all parents, if it's around a school that their kids are going to, we should be told."

One parent tells 11 News details about the incident were posted on the school's website shortly after it happened, and that's how she found out.

11 News tried contacting the Colorado Springs Police Department to find out why it took several days for them to release the information to the public, but our calls have not been returned.

The suspect is a Hispanic male, between 30 and 40 years old. He has black or dark brown curly hair and a mustache. He's between 5-foot-7 and 5-foot-9 with a medium build, and was last seen wearing a black shirt and brown jeans. He is driving a dark green or dark colored, older model pickup truck.

If you have seen this man and can help police, call Crime Stoppers at 634-STOP.

• by James Location: Colorado Springs on Dec 15, 2011 at 08:36 PM
    Its time to start to fix this. If you happen to review this article and feel there is an issue with "Sabin Middle School" and D-11 please contact me by e-mail. The safety and welfare of our children needs to be taken seriously. Lets talk and decide where to start.
  • by Anonymous Location: V-7 on Dec 9, 2011 at 08:06 AM
    I live next to sabin and noticed the guy a month ago! He was parked facing east on noth carefree by hammock dr! A lady was in the drivers seat, she had brown curly hair . When they noticed me eyeballing them, he put his head down and she drove off.
  • by Frustrated Mom on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:45 AM
    My daughter goes to Sabin, and one day while standing in the courtyard of the school she was accosted by some woman that nobody there knew. She screamed at my child, reduced her to tears and then got in her car and drove off. When I got there there were 20 kids waiting to tell me what happened. This was IMMEDIATELY after school, on school property and there were no adults outside with the kids. There is one guy outside typically (the security guy) but that day he was no where to be found. There are cameras outside the school, and conveniently none of them caught anything. I'm sorry but when twenty kids rush my car to tell me what happened, and THAT many kids are upset, something should have been done. The principal, Mrs. Kalbach is useless in these situations, you either cant get ahold of her, or she denies anything is wrong. My daughter witnesses fights in the school just about everyday. I have contacted the superintendent, I have sent emails, no one cares about what is going on at this school, which is just a shame because it could be such a great school if someone would just care enough to fix it.
  • by Fuming Location: COS on Dec 9, 2011 at 07:08 AM
    The same thing happened with the incident at JENKINS middle school. Incident occurred early in the week and we heard about it 2-3 days later. Rule of thumb for D11: Call Police then call the media if you expect timely action from D11 officials.
  • by Heather Location: Colorado Springs on Dec 9, 2011 at 06:37 AM
    My kids and I saw this man earlier in the month at Penrose Elementary (very close to this school). I have called the school and the police. I hope we can ALL keep our kids safe from this man and any future bad guys who want to harm our children.
  • by Richard Location: Colorado Springs on Dec 8, 2011 at 09:57 PM
    Schools are responsible for teaching our children and keeping them safe while on school property and its the police who are responsible for keeping our streets safe. Parents should already know and realize that its not safe no matter where in the Springs you live to have you children walk to school without a trusted adult with them. Communities and neighborhoods need to form groups just like the ole car pool your kids to school routine to walk children to and from schools or to a bus stop and stay there until the bus arrives to take the children to school. Yes its nice if the school notifies parents when something like this happens but you are lucky they can afford to provide your children with a basic education. Everyone should take some responsibity for the welfare of children letting these strangers know we are watching and drive them back under the rocks from where they came. We've got to be proactive and not be afraid to get involved. Lets not blame the schools everytime.
  • by Mable Location: North Colorado Springs on Dec 8, 2011 at 08:39 PM
    I think the message here is to be aware of your surroundings. Don't expect the school district to raise your child. YOU as a PARENT needs to communicate the dangers in this world! Hello...step up parents!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135292628 - kktv.com/a?a=135292628