Search for Person Who Killed German Shepherd with Blade

By: KKTV 11 News
By: KKTV 11 News

The Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region is asking for the community's help to track down a dog killer. The German Shepherd's body was found Saturday on the 1600 block of Highland Way in the southwest side of Colorado Springs.

Initially, investigators were called to the neighborhood for a dog shooting, but later realized that the dog had been stabbed.

Neighbors tell 11 News the German Shepherd, named Kyla, was pinned up in her backyard when someone climbed the fence and attacked her.

According to the autopsy results, it appears the dog was killed with some kind of large blade, possibly a machete or an ax. The dog suffered multiple slashes to her face and body. One of the blows to the dog's head was so hard, it broke her skull. The Humane Society does not plan to release any photos of the dog because the case is so gruesome.

"This is a heinous act of animal cruelty against someone's loved companion animal," said Jan McHugh-Smith, President and CEO of HSPPR. "We are launching a full investigation, and need the help of the community to find those responsible."

Neighbors are still shaken up, and some fear their dogs might be targeted next.

"I hope that they catch the person that's done this so we can all sleep at night again," said one neighbor, who did not want to be identified in fear of retaliation. "We are just devastated that this happened."

HSPPR is following up with initial leads and persons of interest. If anyone in the area saw or heard anything related to this case please call the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region Animal Law Enforcement Dispatch at 719-473-1741.

• by Anonymous on Jul 7, 2011 at 01:35 AM
    Jack and Oblivious, I believe that both of you truly need to be put in the shoes of those who lost Kyla. To have a loved pet taken from you by a cowardly act like this one. Then,and only then, will you possibly know the anger and sadness that they feel. And to Oblivious, would you say the same words if a serial killer needed to "release tension" and it was a family member of yours? I doubt it. No matter how its looked at, it all comes down to a depraved and cowardly act by a sociopath.
  • by neighbor Location: cos on Jul 3, 2011 at 08:18 PM
    Jack. Your neighborhood and your situation has absolutely nothing to do with the tragic crime that has taken place in ours. We can't sleep easy because the psycopath has not been arrested yet. And its not because of barking. So just mind your own friken business. You have no clue!
  • by Anonymous on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:38 AM
    People like "Jack Dalton" and "Oblivious" need to search for serious help. They obviously have mental issues that they need to work out since they think it's alright to make someone's beloved pet into sushi. And anyone that backs them up are sick beings too. What's happened to this world?
  • by Anonymous on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    Oblivious- please shut up :) thanks.
  • by Jack Dalton on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    Ok wow. I originally posted that maybe the dog was a nuisance to someone or the neighborhood. And where in all my posts did I say I was happy about this dog being killed. The entire time I was talking about a similar situation in my neighborhood about owners who refused to be considerate to neighbors around them and put their noisy dog inside at night so all us neighbors could get some sleep. I furthermore posted that after 2 years of trying to be diplomatic, then call the cops, and nothing else worked, someone went and shot the dog. Not once in my post did i say anything about this dog except a similar situation in my neighborhood. Read, reread, enunciate, review and repeat all the above steps till you get the jist of what I was saying.
      by Anonymous on Jul 2, 2011 at 01:00 PM in reply to Jack Dalton
      Jack, you stated "I've never slept better". I suggest you shut up already. No one likes you.
      by Jinnifer on Jul 2, 2011 at 09:56 PM in reply to Jack Dalton
      I get what you're saying. If a dog is a nuisance, which Kyla wasn't, then it's ok to kill it. The only similarities between the story you shared and what happened to Kyla is that someone broke the law and killed two pets. I would imagine that the person who took matters into their own hands in your story is just as much of a coward as the person who killed Kyla. Neither coming forward and claiming their victory and spouting their justifications. Sadly we get the jist of what you're saying....and it's complete fodder.
        by Jack Dalton on Jul 3, 2011 at 04:45 PM in reply to Jinnifer
        If the owners had been considerate of all the neighbors their dog wouldn't have been shot. They knew their dog was a nuisance, they knew many of us didn't sleep well at all, and they knew there was nothing we could do because the cops were called numerous times the last 6 months of that dogs life. The owners were quick to cry foul when someone finally showed them just how inconsiderate other people can be. They didn't know who it was on our street because we all hated the owners. The owners moved less than 2 months later because they were so upset the police didn't do anything about their dog getting shot. That's the point I was making. If this dog was killed for no reason I condemn it.
  • by Caring Location: C/S, Colorado on Jul 1, 2011 at 09:54 PM
    On one more note to any of the heartless people that want to contest my previous comment....If you think it doesnt matter that this happen, then know this....One of my dogs is being trained to save my wifes life in the event of an emergency...as like the emergency dogs that save lives when people like you are in need in the wilderness.
  • by Caring Location: C/S, Colorado on Jul 1, 2011 at 09:45 PM
    @Megan...im very sorry for yours and your family's loss. Im really hoping they catch the person responsible for it. Theres no excuse whatsoever to carry this out on any animal. NOW for the heartless people that really dont have a clue about animals....every single animal whether big or small has a brain and thinks for themselves. Try to picture yourself in that brain for a split second. This poor animal and all the others that were victims to similar heinous acts like this should never deserve this for any reason. From mouse to deer and bigger, they have a right to live in freedom and happiness just like us humans. I really hope you type of people do not have pets of your own...and if you do you really should change your state of mind. Otherwise you should stand convicted alongside the heartless, gutless moron that did this. I am a pet owner of different species and each are very well taken care of and also SPOILED. <------That means having a heart. Its time to find yours.
  • by hols Location: cos on Jul 1, 2011 at 08:36 PM
    Jack, I would like to talk to you. Please respond on this issue.
  • by Jinnifer Location: Colorado Springs on Jul 1, 2011 at 07:22 PM
    To those of you who have taken the time to share your thoughts surrounding what happened to Kyla Bear, thank you. We the people have agreed that we should have the right to voice our opinions whether they are popular or not. I ask that we keep in mind the basics of the situation, and what we the people have decided is against the law. Someone entered the property without permission and killed our pet. Whether individuals value the lives of animals or not, the law says you cannot go onto someone else's property because you feel like it and take a life. This person did not have a license and they were not trying to supply their family with food. It was a brutal, senseless attack. Kyla was a sweet, loving part of our family and the neighborhood didn't have an issue with her. There was only one person with an issue....the person who illegally entered someone's property and brutally attacked a dog. I sincerely hope that no one else has to endure the horrific ordeal my children have. I have every confidence that the person responsible will be identified and receive the assistance they need. In the meantime, I caution the neighborhood to be careful with their pets.
  • by Anonymous on Jul 1, 2011 at 06:35 PM
    Anyone who says this sweet innocent beautiful dog deserved that is sick and you need to seek immediate psychiatric attention because there is something wrong with you and your sick no animal or person deseves that! So u need to shut the up grow up and shut your mouth about facts and information you dont know and thats all there is too it!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124756539 - kktv.com/a?a=124756539