Search Continues For Springs Mom, Missing Two Weeks

It's been two weeks since anyone has seen or heard from 51-year-old Debbie Heriford.

The search goes on for the missing Colorado mother, as her family desperately seeks any clues that could possibly lead them to her. At this point, investigators say that they haven't turned up anything that can given them a direction to go in.

A vigil was held last Saturday night for for a missing Colorado mother. Heriford hasn't been seen since March 31. Her family is desperately seeking any clues that could possibly lead them to her.

The vigil was held at Dublin Park, near Academy and Vickers. That's where Heriford lives. About 100 of her friends and family showed up to show their support.

When she didn’t show up for work more than a week ago, her family started to worry. Investigators say her disappearance is suspicious.

Heriford's church, Vista Grande Baptist Church off of Powers and Stetson Hills, has organized search parties. Earlier last week, they had more than 100 people going door-to-door in Heriford's neighborhood.

Now the search is a community wide effort, businesses nearby have fliers with Debbie's photo up in their windows.

Tom Theune works in the area.

"The least we could do is put her picture here if that can ring a bell with anybody that wants to try and help the search that is the least we could do to help," Theune said.

The major crimes unit with the Colorado Springs Police Department canvassed Heriford's home searching for clues as to what may have happened to the 51-year-old.

"We treat it as a worst case scenario from the very beginning. We let the major crimes detectives know, they come out and treat it as worst case scenario from the beginning--best case scenario we find out that she's OK," said Colorado Springs Police Sgt. Darrin Abbink.

On the night of April 4, police towed Heriford's car from her home and continued to search through her garage, and through her computer records and emails for evidence.

Heriford is in the middle of a divorce with her husband.

The last family member to talk to her was her daughter Sarah. Sarah has been through her mother’s home. There were no signs of forced entry. The only thing missing was Heriford’s keys, cell phone and dog.

"It is my guess that she went out Thursday afternoon to take the dog for a walk and something happened because she just never came home," Sarah told 11 News.

The dog was found behind a local business and has since been returned to the family.

Sarah and her family are forming a search party with her church to walk to the greenbelt her mom uses everyday to walk the dog and question neighbors along the way.

"I've never heard anybody speak ill of her that work with her at her work, she's always willing to volunteer and step up when someone needs help" said Sarah. "Everybody who knows her love her and adores her."

Heriford is a crossing guard for District 20.

If you have any information please call Crime Stoppers at 634-STOP.

• by Jan on May 2, 2011 at 08:15 PM
    It's Debbie's birthday today--thinking of you, dear friend. I hope your children get the gift of your return soon.
  • by Johnise on Apr 25, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    PLEASE UPDATE THIS STORY!!! We all love and care about Debbie Heriford! Please give us an update! Don't give up...
      by Marion on May 2, 2011 at 06:16 PM in reply to Johnise
      I agree. Let's continue to search. Why all of a sudden is nothing being said on the news or in the paper? I walk my dogs regularly in the same neighborhood--should I be concerned?
  • by Research Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 24, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    I hope the investigators: ping her cell phone, trace her activity before she went missing, trace the x-husband's activities before she went missing, search his house, his car, his phone records, his everything, search the sewers, shopping center cameras, search the garbage dumps, nearby ravines, get search dogs & even cadaver dogs. If this was my mother or daughter or friend I would not be passive waiting to see if anyone hears anything. I would be active and out there searching doing everything I can to find her.
  • by Michelle on Apr 23, 2011 at 09:47 PM
    Where is she!!! I am not going to give up hope. I am asking the media/news to continue asking the community and investigating.
  • by mc on Apr 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    Please kktv do an investigative story and let us know what you find on this. PLEASE!!!! We need to know. Debbie is a friend of mine and I am having nightmares each night, since she has been gone, please we need her found. People know something. If you can uncover a scam how about a missing person.
  • by ANON Location: MONUMENT on Apr 17, 2011 at 09:03 PM
    I HOPE INVESTIGATORS HAVE CHECKED THE X-HUSBANDS CAR. ALSO DID THEY PING THE CELL PHONE TO SEE IF SHE COULD BE LOCATED? SOMEONE HAD TO HAVE SEEN SOMETHING. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS ATTEMPT KIDNAPPING LATELY.
  • by ann Location: black forest on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:59 PM
    We care Debbie...so much......
  • by Mom61 Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 16, 2011 at 05:35 AM
    THANK YOU Concerned Citizen for your plea to keep up awareness. I'm thinking this has gotten moved to the back burner and that is very disturbing. I, too, log on daily for (hopefully) any update to this situation and it is getting more frustrating by the day. PLEASE KKTV and the police, detectives, investigators, etc .... LET US KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!
  • by Concerned Citizen on Apr 15, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    I log on to the internet every night looking for updates to this tragic story. There is nothing. What are the police doing? Surely someone saw Debbie walking her dog that night. Chances are she walked the same route every day. I walk my dog close to Cottonwood Creek park and see people all the time. Debbie was obviously taken forcibly. She would not just leave her dog and take off. Some one saw some thing. I hope they are not being ambivalent and don't want "to get involved." Judging by the number of flyers posted in this city, she was a well thought of and loved woman. If this was my Mother, I would be losing my mind. My heart goes out to her children and my thoughs will be with them until their mother is found. Please keep up the awareness of this awful situation.
  • by Mr X Location: se spgs on Apr 14, 2011 at 08:34 PM
    what do you expect from a station that goes off the air ALL the time> and all the oldies that work there.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119193964 - kktv.com/a?a=119193964