19-Year-Old Shooting Victim Identified, 16-Year-Old Arrested

By: KKTV 11 News Email
By: KKTV 11 News Email

A 16-year-old has been arrested in the murder of a teen found shot-to-death Sunday morning.

The shooting took place just after 2 a.m. Sunday, outside of a home at 905 South 25th Street in Colorado Springs. There was reportedly a party at the house. Witnesses say the shooting happened after a fight over a bottle of liquor.

"Jack tried to stop it and when he turned his back he got shot," said Dalanie Manning, the victim's friend.

When officers arrived on scene, they found a man, now identified as 19-year-old Jack Smith, lying in the street with a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital.

The death has been ruled a homicide and the cause of death is from a gunshot wound.

On Monday, police arrested a 16-year-old man in connection with the shooting. He is being charged with First Degree Murder, and has been placed into the Spring Creek Juvenile Detention Center. The identity of the suspect is not being released at this time because he is a juvenile.

No other suspects are currently being sought in connection with the death; however, the Homicide Unit continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding this event.

"We're all very saddened by it," said Gerald Sanchez who lives nearby. "To hear of this happening so close to my home and right across the street from a good friend's home, it was very shocking."

Smith was a student at Pikes Peak Community College and graduated from Coronado High School last year.

Dozens of teenagers gathered Monday night, near where the shooting happened, to remember Smith.

"I can't even believe he's gone," Manning said. "Jack was just a person full of life."

• by unknown on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    He didnt start the fight the 16 yearold did he just got what was coming and shouldnt of shot jack
  • by Anonymous on Jan 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM
    Jack was an amazing person, if you actually knew him you would know. Just because you didn't know him and you don't know the story don't be rude. There are so many people greiving, and will miss him every single day. You didn't know him, and all of us that did don't need most of your opinions. I love you Jack.
  • by Mariah Location: Washington on Dec 29, 2010 at 03:47 AM
    Nessa, I'm so sorry for all that has happened. The few times I met Jack, he was such a great guy. I love you cousin, and know he will always love you wherever he is now.
  • by Arabella Location: D.C. on Dec 29, 2010 at 03:24 AM
    A few years back, my 19 year old was shot and killed in front of my house. Most of us hardly know what really happened at this party. If Jack had really beaten this kid, he should have been arrested and charged with assault. He hardly deserved to be gunned down. The kid shouldn't have had a gun in the first place. His intent seemed to have been to severely incapacitate or kill Jack, or someone else for that matter. What are you doing bringing a gun to a party anyway? THe young victim may have had his faults, as did my daughter, but they didn't deserve to die for them. So BLAZE, not even Jack earned it. I love my daughter with all my heart and I have your family and friends in my prayers Jack. If there is a heaven, I hope you will meet my Sophia one day. Rest in Peace.
  • by BLAZE Location: 719 WESTSIDE on Nov 30, 2010 at 05:30 PM
    To S & Mom, you ppl are absolutly right that young man snapped after getting his teeth nocked out, and shot him. Also if some shoots a warning shot,wouldn't u just run & leave, my heart goes to all of the family & friends of the 16 year old,no one deserves a bullet, but that night jack earned it
  • by K Location: Colo on Nov 27, 2010 at 08:45 PM
    I don't understand why they're saying they don't wanna release the name of the shooter. Do they not realize that almost everyone in Manitou Springs and a lot in Colorado Springs know who did it?
  • by Rachael Location: CS on Nov 27, 2010 at 04:41 PM
    My heart goes out to his friends and family. Sounds as if he was just trying to stop a bad situation from taking place. Instead he was murdered. I hope they charge that young adult as an adult. He was old enough to carry and use a gun, therefore he is old enough to be convicted like an adult. No compassion.
  • by Jane Location: colorado springs,co on Nov 25, 2010 at 03:29 PM
    Not until you really know what happened dont sit there and say it was becuase blacks and mexicans live here..you racist..it has nothing to do with them.. can't you read, were does it say it was becuase of them?? yeah excally no where..dude except that teenager these days don't know what they are doing..
  • by WTF Location: CoSprings on Nov 25, 2010 at 01:26 PM
    This never wouldve happened if we wouldve put a stop to the infiltration of blacks and mexicans into this city. They have brought their gang mentality here and now infested this city with their disease. Its too late now. This city is doomed as will the entire country if we continue to let these vermin spread.
  • by DB Location: Colorado Springs,CO on Nov 24, 2010 at 07:39 PM
    What a bunch of selfish and heartless people you are!!!! Jack was a very very very good friend to everyone!! That kid that shot him was a FREAK!!!! All of you people need to learn respect and grow the hell up! Until you can say "I took a bullet for my friend." there is no room for you to talk! MR.X you are WORTHLESS.Karna is a bi*ch and it's going to come for you!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 109666894 - kktv.com/a?a=109666894