NEW: Reward Offered To Catch Crooks Who Stole Urn, Other Belongings

By: Rick Montanez Email
By: Rick Montanez Email

"That's all I have. That's all I want back."

Bob Herrle said an urn containing the ashes of his late wife was stolen Sunday. As 11 News reported the theft Monday, there has been an out pouring of support, but the urn is still missing.

Herrle's daughter, Holly Meyer, sent 11 News a picture of the mahogany-colored urn. From California, Meyer is making a plea for her mother's ashes to be returned. "We don't want anything else back," she said. "You can do it anonymously, just do the right thing."

It was around 12:20 p.m. Sunday, when the El Paso County Sheriff's Office received a burglary report in the 14000 block of Delwood Drive, in Black Forest.

Bob Herrle had left for church around 9 a.m. and when he returned home, found a rear-door open and several items had been stolen, including the urn with his wife's ashes inside.

"I couldn't imagine why somebody would take that," Herrle said. "They're not just ashes, they're her."

The urn is described as a 10-by-10-by-8 inch red mahogany-colored box. Herrle thinks the crooks may have thought the urn was a jewelry box.

"It's a pretty box," Meyer said. "It doesn't have any markings on it, it doesn't say anything."

Herrle told 11 News that he and his wife, Terry, had planned on putting their ashes together when both of them passed away.

"I know where she is, and I know I'll be there someday soon, but in the meanwhile that's all I have," Herrle said. "That's all I want back."

Earlier that morning, investigators say the two other reports came in. The first report came in around 9 a.m. It was a call about an attempted burglary in the 14000 block of Spiritwood Loop.

About 45 minutes later, a burglary was reported in the 14000 block of Delwood Drive, just blocks away from the Spiritwood Loop address.
The victim was asleep in the home and heard two men upstairs before the burglars got away with several of the victim's belongings.

The same vehicle, a silver sport utility vehicle with license plate number 665-UXF, was seen at both burglary addresses. This plate is associated with a silver Honda Pilot which was reported stolen in Colorado Springs on January 4, 2011.

Two white men in their twenties wearing blue jeans were seen in the car. One of the men was wearing a white hoodie and a black baseball cap.

The sheriff's office is specifically sending out a plea that the urn be taken somewhere and turned in, even if anonymously. It could be taken to a fire station or other public location to be returned.

Herrle's neighbor, another burglary victim, announced Tuesday that he is putting up a $1,500 reward to help catch the thieves.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Sheriff's Office at 719-390-5555. Anonymous tips can also be left with Crime Stoppers, 634-STOP.

• by Michelle Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 13, 2011 at 05:30 PM
    This poor man had to lose his wife twice. I can't imagine what kind of sick vermin does this, but when I read Deborah's post, I realized this is not new. My heart aches for this gentleman and I hope somehow he finds peice in knowing that her spirit was not in that box. There is karma and these monsters will get theirs one day.
  • by Deborah Location: TX on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    My heart goes out to these people. My house was robbed several years ago, and they theives took my mother's urn with her ashes. It was never returned. I have continued to mourn her loss daily. While I know in my heart that she is at rest with her Savior, my head tells me that she is out there without a final resting place. I will pray that this family finds peace and that there loved one's ashes are returned.
  • by TW on Jan 12, 2011 at 05:11 AM
    It would be nice if they would return these ashes as being the right thing to do but my gut is also telling me that they probably aren't wanting to return it because it will have their fingerprints all over it and that would mean they would get arrested within days once the prints are matched.
  • by Troy Location: COS on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    It takes a really special, seriously discombobulated kind of screwed up mess for a brain to steal someone's urn.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    My worry would be that the idiot thieves opened the box expecting jewelry, but dumped out the ashes because they are too stupid to figure out that they had someone's remains. The ashes can still be gathered up and returned. Please return them!
  • by T Location: C/S on Jan 11, 2011 at 05:38 PM
    I will lie in waiting hoping they come into my house. I may not get the ashes back for him, but I will certainly help to arrange a meeting with the original owner of the ashes.
  • by Beware on Jan 11, 2011 at 05:18 PM
    Such theft results in bad luck!
  • by Tracey Location: San Diego, CA on Jan 11, 2011 at 03:59 PM
    This is so disturbing on so many levels. Jared asked exactly the right question. But, the reality is, these lowlife thieves won't do the right thing. So sorry for your loss, sir.
  • by Dino Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 11, 2011 at 02:32 PM
    Whoever has this urn, please return it!! My heart goes out to this family.
  • by FAITH Location: C0 Springs on Jan 11, 2011 at 01:43 PM
    I feel for this man greatly me and my grandfather recently lost my grandmother and i would be devestated if her ashes ever got taken away my prayers go out to you.but for all of those people out there making comments like they probablly threw it away because they couldnt pawn it for drugs or got scared,come on have a little compassion for this poor man and have some faith.Not every human being that steals is a horrible person.And some people do have hearts and respect for the loss of a loved one.So give this man some faith that his loving wife will return to him instead of saying someone just threw her away i have faith and all my prayers go out to you and your wife
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113226359 - kktv.com/a?a=113226359