Home Cameras Catch Crimes in Progress

One southern Colorado family is watching for a crook who keeps striking in their neighborhood. They've even seen him steal from their car. What the crook didn't know was he was on camera the whole time.

At the bottom of a television screen, a crime can be seen in progress. It looks like a man rifling through a car in the driveway of a home on the south east side of Colorado Springs.

“He stole an iPod Touch," said Larami Martinez.

The iPod belonged to Martinez's wife. Their home surveillance video system shows four views of their house, and caught the theft in progress. It also shows the crook on the same night walking directly next door to look for another victim. The crimes are happening off Chelton Road, south of Fountain Boulevard.

"They're violated,” Martinez said of his neighbors who’ve been targeted. “They just feel violated."

Vic Sauget told 11 News he gets up to 500 inquiries about surveillance systems in a single day to PalmVid, the store he operates.

"People are just tired of being victims, that's what it comes down to," said Sauget.

Higher dollar systems may take the better pictures, but those who've invested in a camera system say getting one good look at a crook can be a clear pay-off.

"If a business or home owner can provide police with good, court admissible video evidence, that makes their whole job easier," Sauget said.

Martinez said it looks like the person who's behind the break-ins has tattoos on their arms and may be casing the neighborhood late at night. Police have not yet been able to determine definitive suspect from his video. Martinez plans to keep his cameras trained on the street and his eyes peeled.

Anyone with information should call police.

• by Anonymous on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    makes me want a ham sandwitch
  • by Nick Location: Colorado Springs on Sep 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    We have the same problem here. I have an extensive secruity system. We have caught suspects from car and home beakins numerous times. Gave cspd the video, and nothing more was ever heard. The last one was in broad daylight, gave report, and when the criminals showed back up in the neighborhood, cspd just took their names, and turned them loose!
  • by Arctic Warrior Location: Colorado Springs on Sep 1, 2011 at 06:34 AM
    Isn't the motto of the Police "To Protect AND Serve?" Good luck getting that here. I bet I'm not alone in thinking the only important to CSPD is revenue generating. My home was vandalized twice in a short period of time. When I called CSPD the dispatcher acted like they could care less until I said I'll be on my front porch with a shotgun. At that point they wanted to let me know I was breaking a law. She also said, CSPD can patrol your neighborhood. I replied "they can? Wow, I didn't know they had that ability." Not once in my seven years of residing in my home have I ever seen CSPD patrol my street.
  • by Discouraged but living on on Aug 31, 2011 at 05:00 PM
    We have a clear picture from a camera of the people using out stolen laptop and have even provided the police with an exact location of stolen laptop and they still have done nothing to help us. We even had a witness to the burglary, still nothing. If I had just come in 5 mins earlier, I would have caught the little punks myself. I understand they are extremely busy with more serious cases, but when the info is handed right to them..... I guess what I have been hearing may just be true. You can't get protection from them, you protect yourself. Another 5 mins. next time and someone will no longer be here and it wont be me.
  • by unknown Location: se spgs on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    i have cameras as well and once caught a punk on it looking into my car windows. he would only steal if the doors were un locked. i took the usb stick to the police. they looked at it and gave it back. that was it!
  • by Arctic Warrior Location: Califorado Springs on Aug 31, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    Mike, are you serious?
  • by George Orwell on Aug 31, 2011 at 08:13 AM
    No Winston, you are all Little Brother. Big Brother is still watching you.
  • by watching Location: USA on Aug 31, 2011 at 07:46 AM
    Quit leaving valuables in your vehicles! The scummy rats will sniff it out and then it is gone. Disgraceful that nothing is safe anymore.
  • by Jon on Aug 31, 2011 at 06:44 AM
    "Set-ups start for about $100 and can be linked into something as basic as a VCR." What's a VCR? :-)
  • by Winston Smith on Aug 31, 2011 at 04:46 AM
    We have met Big Brother, and he is us.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128724638 - kktv.com/a?a=128724638