Family Pleas For Return Of Stolen Vehicle

Leaving a vehicle unattended proved devastating for one Springs family, whose primary car was stolen from their apartment complex Saturday morning.

Marlow Means tells 11 News he was warming up his vehicle, a '97 Dodge Caravan, when it was stolen. He briefly left it unguarded to use the restroom, and says that in the few minutes he was inside his home, he heard someone drive it off. Means tried to chase it down, but to no avail--the crooks were able to get away.

Means says the loss is an enormous one for his family, as the van is the only vehicle he has that can transport his three young children. Additionally, the kids' car seats were all stolen with the van.

The van is burgundy with Colorado license plate 190XRA. Means says there is a large dent on the passenger side sliding door. It was stolen from his complex on the 700 block of Tia Juana, near Circle and Platte, at 6 a.m. At least two people were involved with the theft.

Anyone who sees the vehicle is asked to call police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 634-STOP.

• by RAIDERHATER719 Location: Afghanistan on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    Up north AGAIN......It seems like the majority of the stories are all up north now....Bad place to live bad place...........
      by Map on Feb 26, 2012 at 01:58 PM in reply to RAIDERHATER719
      Umm, Circle and Platte are not "up north". If any thing they are central but definitely not north. And anyone who goes to that area knows that Tia Juana and the surrounding streets are a bad area. Nothing new about that
  • by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 03:17 PM
    Yeah.....I don't feel sorry for bafoons that leave a running vehicle unattended and in turn it gets stolen. Well, hopefully you get your car back and will no longer make such an error.
  • by Really? Location: cs on Feb 25, 2012 at 01:51 PM
    I feel bad for the family, I really do, but it is the guy's own fault. Countless times we've been warned by both police and new stations to never leave our running car unattended. I hope they find his vehicle and everything is intact, but there is also the sad truth that he made his bed, now it is time to lay in it.
  • by Rodney on Feb 25, 2012 at 01:47 PM
    Gone in sixty seconds! Colorado has a law about leaving a car unattended, so the insurance won't have to pay for this one. I have a garage that I put in exhaust flaps so I can just slip a hose on the exhaust pipe and send it outside. Pretty cheap to do and safe.
      by Anon on Feb 25, 2012 at 02:07 PM in reply to Rodney
      You know Rodney, you are a wise one! Do you not realize you are breaking the law too? There is no exemption in the law that says if you put in exhaust pipes and send the exhaust outside, that you can leave your car running unattended. ITS STILL UNATTENDED if its running and you arent in it!!!
  • by Bradman on Feb 25, 2012 at 01:17 PM
    Stupid, stupid, stupid!
  • by info Location: springs on Feb 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    to Details...Here is the Colorado Statute:The unattended motor vehicle statute (C.R.S. 42-4-1206) provides for giving warnings and/or citations to motorists that leave their cars running unattended.
  • by Details..... on Feb 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    Can you give me a link to show that this is illegal? I keep hearing about it but I only find campaigns stating. My daughters drivers education states that The state of Colorado does not have unattended vehicle laws; however, it is never a good idea to leave your vehicle unattended without first: • Stopping the engine • Locking the ignition • Removing the key from the ignition • Setting the brake • When standing on any grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the roadway.
  • by cs on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Hard way to learn never to leave your keys in your car.
  • by steal me... on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    Leaving a car running unattended... What are people thinking. Mind a well had a sign saying steal me on it too. Besides being illegal, it is incredibly dumb. I wonder if he got a ticket for his illegal activities. I feel sorry for the loss, but I am sure these thiefs have been watching his van for a couple weeks now. Sorry for your loss, but you should have thought about your actions before you left a car with it's keys in the ignitionrunning unattended.
      by Anonymous on Feb 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM in reply to steal me...
      Hell, there's even billboards around town warning about this.
      by TJ on Feb 25, 2012 at 02:56 PM in reply to steal me...
      They don't stake out vehicles for weeks. They drive around in another vehicle on cold mornings looking for the car warming up, drop one guy off to still the car and move on to the next one. Locked or not, it doesn't matter it's still gone in 10 seconds.
        by TJ on Feb 25, 2012 at 02:57 PM in reply to TJ
        'steal' my bad
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 140422523 - kktv.com/a?a=140422523