Teenage Victim Of Hit-And-Run Driver Identified

By: KKTV 11 News Email
By: KKTV 11 News Email

The victim of a hit-and-run crash in the Springs has died. Police have identified the victim as 14-year-old Ricardo Gonzolez-Figueroa, a student at Galileo School of Math and Science.

The accident happened as Gonzoloz-Figueroa was crossing the street at Circle and Airport shortly before 8:20 p.m. The driver took off after hitting the boy, without stopping or trying to help.

Paramedics tried to save the teen, but their efforts were futile--the boy succumbed to major head and leg injuries not long after arriving at the hospital.

Police are looking for a light colored 1980s Ford or Chevrolet pickup, with gray paneling in the side. It was last seen headed southbound on Circle. The left front portion of the vehicle was damaged.

Grief counselors will be available Monday for students at Galileo School of Math and Science. Students were off school Friday due to parent-teacher conferences.

If you know anything that would help investigators, call Crime Stoppers at 634-STOP.

• by ana Location: chyanne tribe on May 5, 2012 at 08:08 PM
    The car which hit him was light blue in color there was a man in a black suit who was almost run down by the driver. The driver kept honking endlessly The driver is an individual with a long hair, either a man or a woman. Only hair is the main feature There was a passenger
  • by witness on May 5, 2012 at 06:25 PM
    If peoples 911 calls are not being answered there is a problem. Sad to say, there is more than one bad thing happening at a time and if they don't have enough people to answer then they need to hire more. As well, my phone call was not answered when i seen this horrible thing happen. I cried the whole night after this because I felt such sorrow for the family. Nobody should have to go through burying their child especially to someone else's carelessness. I am so sorry for this family and i hope they are not continuing to read these comments because some of you guys are very heartless. I am starting to think that they should not allow comments on news sites because reading stuff from these ignorant people is probably making it harder for the family. I know we have freedom of speech but have some consideration!!!!!
      by Anonymous on May 6, 2012 at 03:30 PM in reply to witness
      It shouldn't matter what the age a person is when something like this or the DUI accident in Pueblo. It's sad that people only care when it's a young person that something like this happens to.
  • by peter on May 5, 2012 at 09:04 AM
    As far as I know we are all wearing black on Monday.
      by R.I.P Ricardo on May 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM in reply to peter
      who said that we had to wear black??
  • by Curious on May 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM
    I always wonder just what do those intersection cameras that sits on top of the light poles records when accidents at a intersection happens. This is the second death that's happen at or close to an intersections. My next question is do the intersection camera's work at all? In NY that's how cops make their collar by looking at the traffic camera's recordings.
      by Jacki on May 5, 2012 at 08:41 AM in reply to Curious
      They have recently turned those cameras off due to budget cuts..unfortunate for so many lives that they could have helped save, or atleast have gotten justice for..
      by Barb in COS on May 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM in reply to Curious
      The city turned off those cameras (which reportedly had been helping deter speeding and red light running) due to money, but have now turned around and added them downtown, plus asked for more money for more police presence downtown. It scares me that our city leaders seem more interested in protecting the people out looking for trouble at the bars at 2am than the bulk of the taxpayers who live in town.My heart breaks for this boys family.
  • by Angel Lilkiddswaqqin on May 4, 2012 at 07:54 PM
    Ricky was kinda a friend to me we didn't talk much but he was like really cool! Why do you people have to judge and start drama on this we should all just try catching the man that had did the hit and run can't you people just give positive comments sometimes!? Yes he was "J walking" but if the driver wasn't going as fast as the eyewitness said he was then maybe he could've slowed down before hitting Ricky. Anyway R.I.P Rickey I love you <3
  • by Carrie f Location: Colo Spgs on May 4, 2012 at 07:27 PM
    My heart breaks for this child's family. My son also knew this boy and had classes with him. I cannot imagine what this family is going through. As I gathered there are many unanswered questions, but there is NO excuse for somebody to run away. I hope they catch the sob ASAP!
  • by John on May 4, 2012 at 04:27 PM
    As a student there we will miss Ricardo like oliva and chase who died last year R.I.P.
  • by Galileo mom on May 4, 2012 at 04:26 PM
    I just learned about Ricky. he was my sons friend at school. They played football every morning before school. My son took it pretty hard today. it breaks my heart this has happened. My condolences and prayers go out to his family.
  • by loving &caring citizen Location: 80909 on May 4, 2012 at 02:27 PM
    MY SINCERE CONDOLENCES GO OUT TO RICARDO'S FAMILY.I'M A MOTHER OF A STUDENT THAT GOES TO GALILEO AND IS SADDEND BY HIS LOSS OF HIS FELLOW STUDENT.I CAN'T BELIEVE ALL THESE POSTS ARE ABOUT THE CSPD AND EVERYONE ELSE BUT THE VICTIM AND HIS FAMILY.SO SAD,BUT JUST REALITY.....PEOPLE MUST ARGUE OVER DUMB STUFF INSTEAD OF POSTING POSITIVE THINGS!!R.I.P. RICARDO
  • by Chase on May 4, 2012 at 02:16 PM
    He was a good friend I think the driver knew he was there and they went for him.
      by Anonymous on May 6, 2012 at 03:21 PM in reply to Chase
      Whatever! Find truth in what you say, then spout off punk!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 150111975 - kktv.com/a?a=150111975