Update: Donation Account Opened For 72-Year-Old Robbery Victim

By: Jason Aubry Email
By: Jason Aubry Email

A special account with at Maria Sanchez's bank, Power Credit Union, has been opened and is already accepting donations.

Donations can be made two ways.

1. You can mail a check to the credit union. Be sure to indicate that it is for the Maria Sanchez donation account. The credit union will then mail you back a receipt.

2. You can drop of a donation in person.

Power Credit Union has four southern Colorado locations. They are:

Main Branch
1615 E. Evans Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81004

Mesa Branch
1083 25th Lane
Pueblo, CO 81006

Pueblo West Branch
120 S. Crescent Dr.
Pueblo West, CO 81007

Canon City Branch
3165 E. US Highway 50
Canon City, CO 81212

When told of the number of people who had inquired about helping her, Maria was touched deeply. She hopes to be able to use any donations made to pay her rent first, then to buy groceries and pay other utilities.

Her daughter-in-law, Patricia Espinoza, says since Maria has received word of people's desire to reach out to her, Maria's spirits have been lifted.

Maria, and her family, would like to thank our viewers for all of their kindness.

She was robbed less than five feet from her home, now 72-year-old Maria Sanchez is worried that home may be in jeopardy.

Sanchez was the victim of a strong-arm robbery Tuesday afternoon in Pueblo. She had just returned home from running errands, including a trip to the bank to cash the monthly check she uses to pay her bills. When she was robbed, she was carrying all of her money in her purse. Sanchez says she lost more than $1,500 in cash and checks.

It happened quickly, says Sanchez. As she was walking toward the door, she saw someone coming toward her. Normally, her son or daughter-in-law meet her and help her into the home because of her physical limitations. She started to talk to the thief as they came closer, but didn't realize it was not her son until it was too late.

That's when the thief grabbed her purse and took off. She tried to follow him, but couldn't keep up with the younger man. She did notice what he was wearing and told the police he was hispanic with short hair, black pants and a red shirt.

Sanchez's daughter-in-law is thankful Maria wasn't hurt, and angry this happened so close to her home. "She's worked hard her whole life. That's the meaning of life is it not? You work hard and you reap the rewards later," says Patricia Espinoza.

Sanchez is angry too. "I want my money back, and put his [backside] away for taking it from the elderly instead of working for it," says Sanchez.

Pueblo police called in a state patrol K-9 to search the area. However, too much foot traffic in the area made tracking the thief unsuccessful. They're still searching for the thief, and are asking the community for tips. Tips can be called into Crime Stoppers anonymously at 542-STOP.

Even though her son is staying with her, there is little likelihood he will be able to keep his mother afloat. "My son lives here but he can't help. He's dying of cancer," laments Sanchez. Maria has seen three of her sons pass away, this will be the second that dies from brain cancer.

Another of her sons was in the military, a marine. He died in service of his country. A sticker on her door says she donates to a disabled veterans charity organization.

• by Anonymous on Oct 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    S- HAHAHA. Where in my comment did I say that she was targeted due to that? Hmmmm, I didnt. Learn how to read. All I said was that people need to dress, look, and act their age.
  • by Jenn Location: CO Springs on Oct 7, 2010 at 08:11 AM
    Maybe she prefers to do everything on a cash only basis b/c of the rash of identity theft, hackers, etc? Elderly people are very set in their ways.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2010 at 06:06 PM
    Anyone that hurts/robs an elderly person or does harm to a child is the lowest form of scum there is. Period.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 6, 2010 at 05:40 PM
    Maybe this woman is NOT being truthful with us and the police. I do hope she IS telling the truth, and I also hope that the money is either recovered or enough donations come in to help pay her rent.
  • by Missy Location: Colorado Springs on Oct 6, 2010 at 05:28 PM
    I still say there is something wrong with this story. I do not know a sole that CASHES $1500 in monthly checks and then pay bills in cash. People write checks or do online banking. I once had someone asking for a few dollars to put towards a childs funeral. The showed her picture and the name of the funeral home. Three months later, someone else was asking for donations to bury this very same child. How many times can a person be buried before they finally stay buried?
  • by Becky Location: Falcon on Oct 6, 2010 at 04:46 PM
    Some of you should not be so harsh and assume she's guilty until proven innocent. A lot of elderly people don't trust banks to do things that the younger generations do because banks have never had a good rep, especially when these people were younger.. It was only a few years ago that my husband's employer started auto deposits. He often had to take his check to the bank, too.
  • by mr x Location: se spgs on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    this is totally BOGUS! why doesn't she have a bank account to pay her bills? we see it everyday, where people make these bogus claims to get more money. i don't believe none of this BS. hey grandma, go take a nap!
  • by TurboKikr Location: PAFB on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    I feel sorry for this woman, she must be devastated! How could this young guy do something like this?? Very selfish of him, and I hope he's reading this article and realize what he did. And if he has any heart what-so-ever, he will feel sorry and turn this money back in! Now this woman has no money for food, her house, etc. But he doesn't care, he got his money for drugs, gambling debts, or whatever...and he had an advantage over this elderly lady who couldn't fight back! If I don't get my paycheck, then I can't pay rent, get food, pay bills, my son doesn't eat, and I'd PROBABLY be in hot water with my Chain of Command.
  • by Liz Location: Fountain on Oct 6, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    Yeah, give her some more money to have taken from her. First of all, she was driving a car when she can't see and has trouble walking? Sounds dangerous to me. Who in their right mind carries that kind of money on their person? The thief was probably watching her for weeks to get an idea of her schedule, and knew she carried a lot of money. I see so many women strolling along, completely oblivious, with their open purse dangling from their arm. If you have elderly female relatives, talk to them about personal safety, please!!
  • by my.02 on Oct 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    Some people like to live with cash..It helps to keep you from overspending..We do it, except for the mortgage, and major bills..Groceries, everything else is cash only..So, I can imagine how she feels..My kids would not eat and the bills would not get paid if this happened to us..Prayers for her!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104384104 - kktv.com/a?a=104384104