Unhealthy Health Food

There are a lot of foods out there that look like they're good for you. But looks can be deceiving. That's what Consumer Reports ShopSmart found when it played diet detective to come up with a list of unhealthy health foods.

Sue Perry with Consumer Reports Shop Smart says, "You could be sabotaging your waistline and your health by eating foods that are loaded with fat, calories, or sugar."

Take veggie chips - they may be made of vegetables, but they're often fried in oil and loaded with fat. And while one cup of trail mix can have lots of vitamins, it can also have almost 700 calories!

Sue found, "If you're looking for a healthier snack, try air-popped or low-fat popcorn. But instead of butter, sprinkle on a little grated parmesan cheese. It has less fat."

And when it comes to breakfast, hold off on that cup of granola cereal. It can contain about
400 calories.

Sue says, "For a better breakfast, try a bowl of oat-based cereal like Cheerios."

And before you take a bite of that wrap, take a step back because wraps can be huge, high in calories and, sometimes, fat!

Sue advises, "A better choice for lunch - a sandwich on whole-grain or
whole-wheat bread. But check the ingredients list. Whole-grains should be first on the list."

In fact, checking the labels on everything you eat is the way a true diet detective finds food that is truly healthy.

Consumer Reports ShopSmart says when it comes to desserts, watch out for frozen yogurt. It can contain a lot of sugar.
Instead, look for light ice cream that has fewer calories and less fat.

And sweetened applesauce is another not-so-great sweet treat with loads of added sugar. Far better, a whole apple. And you get the fiber, too.

• by gluten free chocolate Location: India : Hyderabad on Mar 31, 2011 at 01:58 AM
    What Slim said is so true !!! Get of your b*tts, exercise. It doesn't take much. You do not need to jog or run 25 miles per day, or join the rip-off gyms. ------ Nancy gluten free chocolate
  • by Jenn Location: CO Springs on Mar 16, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    Tony Horton (the guy that does P90X) has a 10 Minute Trainer program.
  • by David Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    If you work out only 30-45 mins, 3-5 times a week, you will see a difference. If you are really unable to make room for that, you need to work both on your time management and your sense of priorities. I catching your favorite TV show is more important than preventing diabetes and heart problems, then your perspective is skewed.
  • by Jenn Location: CO Springs on Mar 16, 2011 at 07:59 AM
    I love my Body Bugg. I wear it and it tells me how many calories I burn. But yeah, it's true, people do need to be more active. You want to be in a calorie deficit of at least 500 to lose 1 lb per week. And I'm a Beachbody Coach...there are plenty of great programs out there that you can buy (like Insanity, Turbo Jam, P90X) without having to join a gym...just do them at home. I have a 3 month old and an almost 2 year old...if I can't go to the gym, I just do Turbo Fire at home!
  • by Erin S. Location: Security on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:15 AM
    Great advice, if humans were bunsen burners and if diets actually worked and didn't result in long term weight GAIN. Before telling people to starve and exercise themselves into some arbitrary number on a scale, exercise your mind and read up on what REAL scientists (ones who don't have a vested interest in promoting weight loss regardless of risks or results) have been saying for decades now: http://www.nutritionj.com/content/10/1/9
  • by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2011 at 08:05 PM
    What, don't like my comments KKTV?? EAT REAL FOOD! Stop worrying about what experts say, they're regurgitating garbage. Butter isn't bad for you but that high fructose corn syrup in the 'healthy' whole grain bread is...
  • by 4 hours a day? on Mar 15, 2011 at 06:08 PM
    While I agree that Americans need to excersize to balance out their caloric/sugar/fat intake, I certainly don't have 4 hours a day to excersize. Must be nice to have so few responsibilities that you can devote that much time to excersize. I get up at 5:45am to get kids up and ready for school and myself ready for work, spend 40 minutes getting kids to daycare and bus stops, spend 40 minutes commuting then work 8-10 hours, another 40 minute commute, pick up the kids, get home about 6:30pm, make supper, get kids in baths and bed, which leaves me about an hour to unwind, shower, maybe check email or read for a bit, and about 45 minutes on the elliptical if I'm not helping the older kids with homework. Then it's off to bed so I can start again 6 hours later.
  • by Jogger girl Location: USA on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:32 PM
    I'm from Europe and we eat just about the same type of food as Americans - yet we are not as obese. All those diet pills and diet plans are worthless - you might loose some weight fast BUT the trick is to keep it off in the long run.In Europe we move our bodies more - exercise, riding bicycles etc.Some folks don't even own a car! Here's my 2 cents on the subject: Eat only half portions of meals and exercise exercise exercise - walking, running, working out - Colorado is a great state to go hiking!!!! Get a dog and walk 2 hours twice a day! It will do you both good!
  • by RatFinkDude Location: CS on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:25 PM
    lmao ! What Slim said is so true !!! Get of your b*tts, exercise. It doesn't take much. You do not need to jog or run 25 miles per day, or join the rip-off gyms.
  • by SLIM Location: Gym on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:04 PM
    Maybe you people should try and burn some calories and you wouldnt have to worry so much about 50 calories here and 100 calories there. Get your fat--- off ther couch and exercise a little bit if you dont it doesnt matter what you eat you will be as fat as you are now.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117961784 - kktv.com/a?a=117961784