KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo | News

Super Absorbent Toy Balls Caution

An ad for a toy called Orbeez shows how the tiny, highly absorbent beads expand in water.

These Water Balz by Dunecraft - also made of super-absorbent polymer - are larger and were recalled late last year. This after Aunraya, then eight months old, swallowed one.

She was rushed to the hospital, where doctors couldn't see anything on the X-ray. But in surgery they removed a ball nearly one-and-a-half inches in diameter from her small intestine.

Pediatric surgeon, Dr. Oluyinka Olutoye says, "If nothing had been done, the intestines would have perforated, the child would have had significant infection and sepsis and could have possibly died from it."

Consumer Reports examined the recalled Dunecraft Water Balz.

Dr. Eric Mallow with Consumer Reports says, "This ball is fresh out of its package. And this is an identical ball that soaked in water for two days."

Consumer Reports also looked at tiny polymer beads that are still on the market, including Orbeez. While their full size is much smaller than the banned Water Balz, Consumer Reports says they also pose a safety hazard for small children.

Dr. Mallow goes on to say, "These products look a lot like candy or gum, but they can expand enough within a few hours to block the intestine or airway of a small child."

The Orbeez beads do carry warnings. On the front the package says, "Choking hazard … Not for children under three years." On the back, it says, "Not suitable for children under the age of five."

Andrea Rock with Consumer Reports found, "While additional injuries have not yet been documented in the U.S., several have been reported in other countries, including one fatality."

All types of super-absorbent polymer balls have been banned in Italy and Malaysia.

Dr. Mallow explains, "The balls are found not only in toys but are sold widely as decorations. We are urging strongly that parents and caregivers keep these products out of the reach of small children."

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it's currently investigating polymer balls and beads.

Meanwhile Orbeez, whose beads are smaller than others on the market, says its tests show the toy is safe for children five and older.

Orbeez says the balls should pass through their digestive tract. However, Consumer Reports says all products of this type can pose a choking hazard or risk of a blocked airway for any small child.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203108631