A Florida tomato grower is voluntarily recalling its grape tomatoes after a sample tested positive for salmonella.
Six L's Packing Company Inc. said in a statement that no illnesses had been reported in connection to the recall as of April 29.
The tomatoes also were used in deli salads made by Tracy-based Taylor Farms Pacific Inc., which also recalled products Monday.
The salads were sold in plastic trays and at deli counters in Albertsons, Raley's, Safeway, Savemart, Sam's Club and Walmart stores across the West and some Midwestern states. The affected states are Arizona, Oregon, California, Nevada, Washington, New Mexico, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Utah.
In Colorado, additional products sold at Safeway stores and King Soopers/City Markets (Kroger) are affected by the expanded recall at this time. According to both Safeway and Kroger representatives, all additional recalled products were pulled from Colorado store shelves. No illnesses have been reported to date.
The following additional Signature Café products sold at Safeway stores in Colorado are included in the recall:
• Tray Veggie Pleaser in 23-ounce plastic trays with use by dates of 5/10/11 and UPC code 00211306198
• Salmon Atlanta Kabob and Salmon Atlanta Kabob Mesquite in 1-pound styrofoam trays with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/05/2011 and UPC code 023037100000
• Scallop Sea Kabob w/Vegetables in 1-pound styrofoam trays with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/05/2011, and UPC code 023040600000
• Shrimp Kabob with Vegetables in 1-pound styrofoam trays with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/5/2011and UPC code 023040700000
• Tuna Kabobs Fresh in 1-pound styrofoam trays, with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/5/2011 and UPC Code 023040900000
• Halibut Kabob W/Veg., in 1- pound styrofoam trays with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/5/2011 and UPC Code of 023040500000
• Salmon Atlantic Kabob, Marinated, in1-pound styrofoam trays with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/5/2011 and UPC Code of 023364000000
• Salmon Kabob w/Vegetables Fresh in 1-pound styrofoam trays with use by dates of 4/26/2011-5/5/2011 and UPC Code 02336390000
The following product sold at King Soopers and City Market Stores in Colorado also is included in the recall:
• Snacks On The Go, Celery, Carrots and Tomatoes, 8.75 ounce with use by dates of 5/9//2011-5/16/2011 and UPC Code 0071651901501
Individuals who may have purchased any of the recalled product(s) are advised to discard it or return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
Salmonella is a foodborne bacteria that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy people infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
For more information from the FDA and the specific products and foods affected, click on the link below.