After Dozens Of Deaths, Drop-Side Cribs Outlawed

By: AP
By: AP

The government is outlawing drop-side cribs after the deaths of more than 30 infants and toddlers in the past decade.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has voted unanimously to ban the manufacture, sale and re-sale of the cribs, which have a side rail that moves up and down, allowing parents to more easily lift their child from the crib.

Around for decades, drop-side cribs have come under scrutiny in recent years because of malfunctioning hardware, sometimes cheaper plastics, or assembly problems that can lead to the drop-side rail partially detaching from the crib. When that happens, it can create a dangerous "V"-like gap between the mattress and side rail where a baby can get caught and suffocate or strangle.

• by Jennifer Location: Springs on Dec 15, 2010 at 03:17 PM
    My question is: Why do they need to be outlawed? Where are the parents when these deaths occur? Monitors, parents paying attention, and common sense can prevent most of this from happening.
  • by princessaurora Location: fountain on Dec 15, 2010 at 01:49 PM
    Oh my! I agree with Nath and Dee. Its not so much that the rail itself is a danger its the parts that malfunctioned. Quality control. I know its easier and cheaper to make plastic parts but they are not always as strong as they should be. My dad fixed our crib so we dont have that problem.
  • by Nicole Location: Colorado Springs on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    Nath, you are right on!
  • by outlaw6 Location: co spgs on Dec 15, 2010 at 09:12 AM
    Typical overreaction from the government, who is here to protect us from ourselves. How about a little quality control? I guess that would make too much sense.
  • by Dee Location: Colorado Springs on Dec 15, 2010 at 08:50 AM
    I understand why they are doing this, and I am glad they are looking out for our kids. But I wish they would have outlawed cheaper plastics and hardware that can malfunction for use in cribs, instead.
  • by Nath Location: Colo Spgs on Dec 15, 2010 at 07:52 AM
    Two problems - plastic parts and malfunctioning hardware. Over the last few decades, guess where these cribs, like most of our defective and/or contaminated consumer goods come from -- Red China. When my children were infants, 36 years ago, they were bedded down in a drop side crib (made in the USA) with no problem of a malfunction and all three of them, as they grew old enough to climb out over the side, did not cause the hardware to fail.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111922424 - kktv.com/a?a=111922424