Hooked - (Stacia Naquin)
Updated: 10/11/2013 - I'm SO CLOSE to being able to do a pull-up. So my trainer introduced something new into my training.
Lonnie Truett talks about the lossof his son.
"It just really changes you. There's no greater loss than the loss of a child."
Lonnie and Michelle Truett's youngest son, Aidan, died after he swallowed a tiny battery.
Michelle Truett says, "There's no describing the everyday pain."
Consumer Reports' Don Mays says tiny lithium "button-cell" batteries like this are found in all kinds of products, like children's toys, clocks, remotes, watches, and even musical greeting cards.
In some products, like this talking children's book, a child cannot get access to the battery.
He says, "Musical books are regulated as toys. So you need a screwdriver to open the battery compartment."
But musical greeting cards are different. With many, a child can tear open the card and get to the battery.
And with small remotes like this one for an iPod docking station, the battery is also easily accessible.
"These batteries are smaller and easier for a child to swallow. And the injuries can be severe. They can actually burn a hole through a child's esophagus."
To demonstrate the danger, Consumer Reports placed a button-cell battery between two slices of ham.
Don says, "After three days, the battery burned the top piece of ham. But it actually burned a hole in the bottom piece of ham."
The Truetts don't know where Aidan found the battery he swallowed, but they've removed all button-cell batteries from their home.
Michelle says, "There's no sense in keeping them around because your child's life is not worth it.
Consumer Reports advises keeping button-cell batteries out of the reach of children. Be aware, not all greeting cards pose a risk. Some come with a secure cover over the battery - a far safer design.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Posted: 08/06/2013 - Even if you don't plan to workout on your vacation, you may be surprised at the calories you're burning without even trying!
Updated: 06/18/2013 - We did a quick helicopter tour of the Black Forest burn area. Someone asked why the video looks shaky.
Updated: 05/20/2013 - Two weekends left to catch one great show!
Updated: 05/14/2013 - I'm still focused on meeting my goal of doing a pull-up. And I'm almost there! But I'm always getting this question: