Deadly Batteries

Lonnie Truett talks about the lossof his son.
"It just really changes you. There's no greater loss than the loss of a child."
Lonnie and Michelle Truett's youngest son, Aidan, died after he swallowed a tiny battery.
Michelle Truett says, "There's no describing the everyday pain."
Consumer Reports' Don Mays says tiny lithium "button-cell" batteries like this are found in all kinds of products, like children's toys, clocks, remotes, watches, and even musical greeting cards.
In some products, like this talking children's book, a child cannot get access to the battery.
He says, "Musical books are regulated as toys. So you need a screwdriver to open the battery compartment."
But musical greeting cards are different. With many, a child can tear open the card and get to the battery.
And with small remotes like this one for an iPod docking station, the battery is also easily accessible.
"These batteries are smaller and easier for a child to swallow. And the injuries can be severe. They can actually burn a hole through a child's esophagus."
To demonstrate the danger, Consumer Reports placed a button-cell battery between two slices of ham.
Don says, "After three days, the battery burned the top piece of ham. But it actually burned a hole in the bottom piece of ham."
The Truetts don't know where Aidan found the battery he swallowed, but they've removed all button-cell batteries from their home.
Michelle says, "There's no sense in keeping them around because your child's life is not worth it.
Consumer Reports advises keeping button-cell batteries out of the reach of children. Be aware, not all greeting cards pose a risk. Some come with a secure cover over the battery - a far safer design.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 99493729 -
Gray Television, Inc.