Historical Trinidad Chronicle-News Building Burns In Overnight Fire

By: James Egbert Email
By: James Egbert Email

The Trinidad fire Department responded with a full call out late Friday night with a report of a structure fire at 200 West Church Street which houses the Trinidad Chronicle-News.

At 11:45 pm Friday night calls came in to the Trinidad Fire department which responded with a full crew call out involving three engines and a ladder truck. Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire in about 30 minutes.

Captain Tim Howard reported that the fire began in an electrical junction behind a desk on the first floor before igniting stacks of newspapers. Howard said, "Due to the materials burning a small fire created a tremendous amount of heat causing major damage in the building." The fire spread throughout the first floor damaging the entire office space and several computer servers.

Crews remained on scene for three additional hours for overhaul, salvage and investigation. A senior reporter for the Trinidad Chronicle says that the fire will not stop the paper from publishing on time. The Chronicle is a Monday through Friday newspaper, so the staff says an edition will be on doorsteps on Monday. They plan to work out of the community college in Trinidad to write the paper, which is then emailed to the Gazette offices in Colorado Springs, where the paper is printed.

The Chronicle-News was founded in 1877 and still operates in the historic building on the corner of West Church Street and Convent Street in downtown Trinidad.

Stay with 11 News and KKTV.com for further updates. If you have any images of this fire or resulting damages please feel free to contribute by emailing your images to news@kktv.com.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 91214429 - kktv.com/a?a=91214429