Woman Just Home From Philippines

By  | 

Tens of thousands are homeless, hungry, and desperate tonight in the disaster left by Typhoon Haiyan.

Rescue crews are struggling to get supplies into the hardest hit areas. Right now close to 4,000 people are hurt in the Philippines.

Most of the people don't have food or water while supplies pile up at airports, because they can't get out.

The remote location of the affected areas, and the scale of the destruction is causing problems, to get the supplies out.

While we're all watching the destruction and recovery efforts unfold in the Philippines, 11 News talked to a young woman from Colorado who just returned from the Philippines. The storm hit her town three days before she left.

Kelly Matteson is back home in Monument now, but said the town in the Philippines she was living in, wasn't hit nearly as hard as some of the others, but it was still pretty scary.

She showed us a picture of her neighbor's home, they're all ok, but two little kids were sleeping in their bed when their roof collapsed under a palm tree.

"I heard a crashing noise and I thought it was the roof next door to me which was the malnutrition center ripping off and I hear it followed by screams," Matteson said.

It was actually the home on the other side of where she was. Matteson spent the last two months volunteering at this orphanage and malnutrition center in Calapan City on Mindora Island. She said the original storm pattern would have centered the typhoon on top of them, but it shifted and the worst of it moved south.

"The news pictures of the palm trees I have seen in the past where they're halfway blown over, that was what I witnessed, and it was so windy and rain coming down sideways," Matteson recalled.

One of Matteson’s friends lives just 15 miles away from where she was staying, her town was hit hard.

"I spent two months there, I fell in love with the people. They will give their last anything to just give to other people and they don't have anything for themselves," Matteson said.

Leaders in the Philippines say it could take six weeks to get the power back on for everyone affected in the typhoon.