The new pot laws haven't been good for everyone in Colorado.
Since Jan. 1, when recreational marijuana became legal, vets have seen a sizable uptick in the number of dogs that have eaten the drug, usually in the form of edibles.
VCA Alameda East Veterinary Hospital in Denver told sister station KCNC that the situation is no laughing matter. Dogs weigh far less than humans, and as any owner would vouch, have little control over their appetite. It makes for a lethal combination: disorientation, seizures and temporary comas are among the many effects pot can cause in dogs.
The sick pup can find itself showing symptoms for days.
“Half-life for a dog is 72 hours, maybe 96, before it gets out of their system,” Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald told KCNC.
Fitzgerald urges anyone who suspects their dog may have consumed marijuana call their vet immediately.
"Don't wait," he said.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.