Antifreeze and Laptop Battery Started Fire

By: KKTV
By: KKTV
Antifreeze that leaked into a laptop battery is being blamed for a massive car fire.

The car where the fire is believed to have started. The fire then spread to a truck parked next to it.

Antifreeze that leaked into a laptop battery is being blamed for a massive car fire.

Smoke and flames roused residents from their sleep early Thursday morning after a two-vehicle fire got dangerously close to their apartment building.

The fire started around 4:30 a.m. in a car parked at the Palo Verde Apartments on North Murray in southeast Colorado Springs, and spread to a neighboring truck. Our reporter on scene says the car is "completely melted." Damage to the truck is also extensive.

There is no damage to the complex itself, but the vehicles were parked just outside one of the buildings.

Firefighters say antifreeze that was in the car spilled onto the laptop. Somehow the antifreeze got into the computer's battery. Firefighters say that caused a chemical reaction that started the fire.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 224385981 - kktv.com/a?a=224385981
Gray Television, Inc.