Suspect In D.C. Incident ID'd As 34-Year-Old Dental Hygienist

Credit: CBS

The woman involved in an incident Thursday afternoon that prompted a lockdown at the U.S. Capitol has been identified as 34-year-old Miriam Carey of Connecticut.

Authorities say she tried to drive into a blocked entrance near the White House, resulting in a police chase that ended in her death.

In the chaotic early moments following the incident, authorities were still trying to piece together what happened. What is now known, according to CNN, is that Carey was approached by Secret Service officers when she drove up to a White House barrier. When the officers came up to her car, she began erratically trying to drive away, hitting the barrier and backing into an officer before speeding off towards the Capitol.

Security vehicles reportedly stopped it after the vehicle made it several blocks, at which point Carey reportedly put her vehicle in reverse and backed into a police cruiser before speeding off again. At this point, pursuing officers began firing at her car.

Based on witness accounts, Carey made it around a busy traffic circle and a few more blocks before crashing into more security barriers. Officers continued firing at her after the vehicle stopped, hitting Carey several times.

After approaching the vehicle, officers found a 1-year-old child, who was unharmed.

The U.S. Capitol was put on lockdown as shots could be heard close by. Capitol police sent out a notice by email alerting to the lockdown:

"SHELTER IN PLACE. Gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring all occupants in all House Office Buildings to shelter in place. Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, Go Kits and escape hoods; and move to the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows. If you are not in your office, take shelter in the nearest office, check in with your OEC and wait for USCP to clear the incident. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP. All staff should monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available."

CNN is reporting that the House and Senate went into recess after the shooting was reported. The lockdown was lifted at 3 p.m. EST.

Authorities are still trying to figure out what triggered Carey, a dental hygienist, to try and to drive through the blocked White House entrance in the first place.