Murder Suspect Called 911 To Report Shooting

Daniel Baker

After shooting three people, one fatally, police say Daniel Baker put his weapon down and called 911.

Pueblo police say the events of that deadly night began when a friend of Baker's asked him to help her move out of a home she shared with her boyfriend, 29-year-old Joshua Fenderbosch. According to an arrest affidavit, the woman was fighting with her boyfriend, and asked Baker to protect her as she took her belongings from the home.

Baker told investigators that his friend "was afraid of Josh because of the problems they were having."

Fenderbosch later told police he and Baker had never met prior to that night.

Court documents say that the woman and a male companion met Baker at his home off North Greenwood Avenue. From there, Baker took them to the woman's home on the 2300 block of De Soto Road. The woman told him that some items were missing, including a flat screen television.

Fenderbosch told investigators that when he returned to the home shortly before 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, the house was dark and an unfamiliar vehicle was in the driveway. Fenderbosch's roommate, Nicholas Carpenter, and another male named Benjamin Williams were with him as they entered the house.

Police say a fight then broke out between Fenderbosch and Baker.

"It carried out into the hallway," Fenderbosch said. He told police that as the men were fighting, Baker "pulled out a handgun and started shooting," hitting Fenderbosch twice. Fenderbosch was able to drive himself to the hospital.

According to Baker, he pulled out his gun out of self defense. He told investigators that Fenderbosch started punching him in the head. Fenderbosch's two companions joined in the fight, Baker said, kicking and punching him.

Baker told investigators that he tried to escape, but the men followed him into the living room. As they approached, Baker said he pulled out his Springfield .40 caliber and “shot several rounds at Josh and the other males inside the house.”

Baker told investigators after he fired the gun he called 911, “downloaded the gun,” then waited for police to arrive.

Responding officers say they were “flagged down” by Baker, whose clothing was splattered with blood. Baker was put into handcuffs and placed in the police car.

Police say the handgun was found near the front door with the slide locked back.

Carpenter, 21, was already dead when police arrived. Williams, 33, was taken to the hospital in critical condition . Police say they found the two on the floor in the bedroom with multiple gunshot wounds.

According to court documents, all three suffered at least two gun shot wounds.

According to the affidavit, another roommate told police that Fenderbosch and his girlfriend were using drugs and selling drugs out of the home, including meth and cocaine.

Neighbors told 11 News they had suspected drug activity because there was a lot of foot traffic in and out of the house.

Baker faces charges of second-degree murder. He is currently in the Pueblo County Jail on a $500,000 bond. Fenderbosch and Williams are still in the hospital. There is no update on their condition. Last report was that Williams was still in critical condition and Fenderbosch was in stable condition.

Investigators noted that Baker appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. He denied both. He told them he had a prescription for oxycodone for arthritis, but did not take those pills for several days. Detectives said his “speech was thick tongued, and he sometimes he slurred his words.”

According to the arrest affidavit, Fenderbosch's girlfriend was nowhere to be found after the shooting, but police were eventually able to track her down in order to conduct an interview. Police tell 11 News the witness interviews are still ongoing.

According to court documents, Fenderbosch’s girlfriend owns the house off De Soto Road.

This is Pueblo's second homicide of 2012.