A mobile home was badly damaged after a space heater was left unattended.
The fire broke out just after 3pm Monday at the Shangri-La Mobile Home Park. That’s off of Cascade Avenue near Fillmore and I-25 in Colorado Springs.
The homeowner tells 11 News he left the space heater running while he was at work. When he came home he opened the front door and smoke started to pour out. Fire crews responded quickly and we able to get the flames out within minutes.
"The floor heater burnt through the carpet and into the wood flooring of the trailer," homeowner, Dennis Tapia explained.
The fire department wants to warn everyone to keep heaters at least three feet from anything flammable, like curtains and bedding.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates more than 300 people die each year because of fires associated with space heaters.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.