Samurai Sword Attack Victim Talks To 11 News

Kenneth Sipes is still in shock. He can’t believe what happened at his southeast Colorado Springs home on Tuesday. His neighbor attacked him with a samurai sword.

Sipes is back from the hospital, recovering from serious wounds to his hands after the vicious attack.

"I've never been so scared about one thing in my life,” said Sipes.

He says his neighbor at the Westwind Apartments, off Carmel Drive in Colorado Springs, knocked on his door early Tuesday morning, around 6:30.

Sipes tells us when he opened the door, without warning, he was attacked with a Samurai sword.

“I didn’t know what to think...all I know is my daughter is standing next to me and there is this man swinging a sword at me,” said Sipes.

Sipes threw up his hands in defense.

"I can relive it in my mind. I see my daughter going crazy and then I'm fighting this guy with a sword, and it's like I'm fighting for my family's life right now,” said Sipes.

Sipes says the guy swung the sword at his head three or four times.

“I didn’t know exactly what it was until I grabbed it and he pulled it back. I was like 'ow' and looked at my hands. He was swinging it again and so I went to grab it again. He pulled it back and swung it, he swung the sword at me three times towards my head,” said Sipes. “The third time he swung it, I didn’t know what to do. I’m literally fighting for my life, so I just held onto it because each time he swung he would pull it back and swing it again.”

The father of two young children says he then wrestled the man outside, and finally knocked the sword away.

"I can't sleep, I can't sleep because all I see is this man swinging this sword at my head,” said Sipes. “That’s the only thought I had in my head, that I was gonna die.”

Even after a special hand surgeon was called in, and he had surgery on both his hands, Sipes is not sure his hands will heal.

“The surgeons say I was lucky to even have them repaired, but I don’t know if I will ever be able to use them again,” said Sipes.

But Sipes is still thankful.

"I'm really just lucky to be alive, I'm glad to be alive,” said Sipes.

Sipes says his 10-year-old daughter who has cerebral palsy, witnessed the attack. He feared for his whole family, as his fiancée and 5-year-old son were also inside.

Right now because he can’t use his hands, Sipes can’t go to work at his construction job. He also can’t communicate with his daughter, who can’t talk, but instead uses sign language.

And because of the injuries to his hands, he is facing medical bills around $15,000--and he doesn’t have insurance.

The family is asking for the community’s help. If you wish to help the family out, you can contact Sipes at 720-329-1932 or

Sipes told 11 News he has had problems with his neighbor before, but never expected this.

He told us he forgives his neighbor for the crime, and hopes he can get help.

His neighbor, Sean Knapp, is out of the hospital and now in jail. He’s being charged with attempted murder. He will have his first appearance in court on March 18. We will let you know what happens.