Winter weather is heading to Colorado and with it comes fire concerns from improper use of heating devices.
When it comes to space heaters, experts say to always place them on the floor. That minimizes the risk of them falling off of furniture. Keep pet bedding and other flammable objects away from the heaters.
Other tips include not using space heaters while in the bathroom or around water because condensation can build up, causing a spark. Make sure to check the cords often to ensure they are not frayed and don't hide them with rugs which could cause overheating.
Fire places should be inspected before use, to help guard against a chimney fire. When you are ready to put your fire out, don't close the damper with hot ashes still in the fire place. Experts say this will force carbon monoxide into your home and the ashes could reignite.
Fire crews recommend checking the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home and changing the batteries on a monthly basis.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.