CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) -- Prosecutors want the state to be ready to execute convicted killer Nathan Dunlap, even though the governor gave him a reprieve.
Prosecutors asked a judge Monday to keep the case active in case a future governor lifts the reprieve.
Dunlap's lawyers argue the reprieve took the case out of the judge's hands.
Dunlap was scheduled to be executed in August for the 1993 ambush slayings of four employees at a suburban Denver pizzeria.
Gov. John Hickenlooper granted Dunlap a temporary reprieve last month, citing doubts about the fairness of Colorado's death penalty.
Prosecutors want the judge to tell defense lawyers to file any motions they have in mind so they can be argued. The defense says that would be speculative and outside the court's power.
The judge says he'll rule soon.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus