Police Suspect Pattern of Home Burglaries

Colorado Springs police are investigating two home break-ins that happened hours apart in northeast Colorado Springs. Two men reportedly kicked in two doors, startling one homeowner who was home at the time.

When Terri Mitchell pulled up to her home near Union Boulevard and Dublin Boulevard Wednesday afternoon police had the house surrounded.

“We’ve lived here 19 years without any problems,” Terri said.

Officers were looking for the burglars who broke through her dead-bolted door.

"There was wood splintered and drywall everywhere,” Terri said. “It was pretty violent looking really."

Terri had stepped out, around lunchtime, when two burglars targeted her house taking her flat screen TV and some jewelry.

"It's a pretty secure place. It’s a pretty bold move in my opinion, a very bold move on their part," she said about the crooks.

A damaged entrance may not be the only thing Terri has in common with the family at a home near Briargate Parkway and Lexington Drive. Two would-be bandits ran when they saw someone was behind the door they kicked in. Police report there are similarities in the two break-ins.

"That takes it up a notch and makes it more of a violent crime, and so we're certainly concerned about that as a potentially developing pattern,” said Sgt. Richard DuVall.

DuVall said burglars look for easy targets. Securing a home with locked windows, doors with sturdy locks as well as outdoor lighting systems can help reduce a homeowner’s risk.

"Take whatever precautions that sound reasonable," DuVall said.

According to police, the suspects were described as two black males, one wearing a white tank top and the other a blue polo shirt. The suspect vehicle was described as a white sedan, possibly a Chevrolet Impala.

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers in Colorado Springs at 634-STOP.

• by cpk on Jul 7, 2011 at 02:46 PM
    according to thedenverchannel.com the streets are Chetwood Drive and Tuckerman Lane .
  • by Briargate Location: Lexington on Jul 7, 2011 at 02:36 PM
    A special message to the two who tried to break into my apt last night - next time - I'll shoot you and pull you through the broken glass (the both of you scums)and I'll make sure your dead before I dial 911 - so come back - 2 less on the streets! I'm ready for you!
  • by M r X Location: se spgs on Jul 7, 2011 at 02:36 PM
    Dear Bandits: retired us army/ viet-nam vet/ 100%ptsd. please come kick my door. i have 2 of em before you can get in. So by that time you will see the blast like the one i saw in viet-nam. ARE YOU READY! ps by the way, iam home most days. ty KKTV
  • by bp Location: springs on Jul 7, 2011 at 01:32 PM
    Please, please, if they break into your house just shoot them dead, I will if they get to my house first, cspd is busy these days, lets make it easy
  • by Me on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    I'd like to know the street too because I am in that area.
  • by Jenn on Jul 7, 2011 at 08:26 AM
    Do they know which area around the Union/Dublin area? I live around there...
  • by DanReeves Location: USA on Jul 7, 2011 at 07:48 AM
    It's like a broken record when I say instead of robbing people they should get a job. Here's another way to look at it. If you want to be a crook then rob banks or do real jobs where you're stealing from companies/entities with insurance where it dosen't hurt so bad. I say that because people actually do work their butts off to save for things like new TV's. I'd love for someone to rob me while at home. I'd love to plug a burglar!
  • by Jason M. Location: Co.Springs on Jul 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM
    Why can't lowlifes get a clue? I guess it's all about them, you know. If they want a flat panel, jewelry or whatever, don't work for it the good old honest way, break someone's door down and cause thousands of dollars in damage to their home. But those turds will be the first to say we're living in a bad economy and prbably not even bother applying for a job. Go figure ! Just remember scumbags, don't bother coming to my or our neigbors' houses. YOU WILL go to jail sooner than you think. I guarantee it. ( :
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125121969 - kktv.com/a?a=125121969