New details are emerging in the violent attack of a local woman.
It’s a story we’ve been reporting on for a few weeks after sources told us the woman was kidnapped, raped and left for dead at a busy intersection.
After a dramatic police standoff on Wednesday night, Jorge Hernandez was arrested. The other suspect in this case, Hamilton Sullivan, was caught last week.
11 News has word that the young woman who was attacked is out of the hospital and is recovering.
Jorge Hernandez went before a judge on Thursday. Off camera, a deputy district attorney talked to judge about what the suspect allegedly did.
“He and his accomplice allegedly raped a woman, stole her car, shot her and left her for dead."
On the morning of December 28 the woman was found at a busy intersection of Bijou and 7th in Colorado Springs. 11 News talked with the friend of the victim shortly after it happened.
"She was shot in the head and left like she was trash," the friend said.
Police say Hernandez had been hiding out since the crime. After a three hour standoff in a Springs neighborhood, he finally gave himself up.
"The victim in this case had injuries to her skull; there were bullet fragments and skull fragments in her brain,” the deputy district attorney explained. She went on to say that the suspects stole the victim's car, then set it on fire in Douglas County to cover up the crime.
Hernandez is being held on a $1 million bond. Sullivan is in jail with no bond.
Previous Story on 1/15 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A man arrested after a standoff in Colorado Springs Wednesday evening is the suspect in the kidnapping and attempted murder of a woman.
Police say the suspect, Jorge Luis Pilo Hernandez, gave himself up a little after 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Officers had been trying to find Hernandez since late December, when a woman who had been shot in the head and assaulted was found in the street at 7th and West Bijou in Colorado Springs.
The other suspect, Hamilton Lee Sullivan, was arrested a few days later, after the victim had recovered enough to give police information about the attack.
The hours-long standoff Wednesday took place in the 2000 block of Capulin Drive. That is near Monterey and Carmel.
Shots and flash bangs could be heard during the standoff and SWAT officers used a bullhorn to try to contact the suspect inside a home.
Witnesses described the scene as Hernandez surrendered.
"He came out, I saw him come out with his hands up...he laid on the ground, and they arrested him, but it was scary because we were down there for three hours," one neighbor told 11 News. Neighbors were told to stay in their homes during the standoff.
Nearby Carmel Middle School was placed on lockdown status during the standoff. The lockdown was lifted at 4:30 p.m.