Anxious pet parents are steering clear of one Colorado dog park after the news broke that someone left poisoned meatballs where dogs can find them.
Six meatballs were found Monday at a park in Gunbarrel, which is north of Boulder.
A team of Colorado State University researchers is trying to determine exactly what toxin the meatballs contain. They speculate the meatballs are mixed with rat poison, but are still working to know for sure.
At least one dog, 6-month-old Amos, has eaten a meatball. The Golden Retriever's owner is waiting anxiously to see how the pup responds. It can take two to three days before symptoms emerge.
"You don't do this if you're mad," Brandon Weil said. "You tell somebody why you're mad, you don't just poison animals. You just don't do that."
Weil told sister station KCNC that Amos is a cheerful puppy who loves everyone he comes across.
"He just wants to be everybody's friend," Weil said.
Weil spent a night getting Amos emergency treatment after discovering Amos ate a poisoned meatball. He has been taking Amos to the vet every 12 hours since for blood tests.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.