Suspect In Fatal Officer Shooting Sex Offender From TN

The U.S. marshals say the suspect who died in a standoff in Colorado was a man wanted on a sex offender registry violation from Tennessee's Roane County.

In a statement, the U.S. Marshals Service said Thursday that authorities in Colorado's Lincoln County were notified late Wednesday that Dennis Mark Hasty was believed to be in the area.

Authorities say Limon police officer Jay Sheridan was killed Wednesday by gunfire when police tried to serve a warrant to Hasty in a mobile home park in Limon, a small town about 90 miles east of Denver. Officers say they found Hasty's body after a four-hour standoff. They say he apparently shot himself.

Officer Jay Sheridan was 27 years old, and served on the Limon force for over six years. The Limon police chief says he was an outstanding officer and will be greatly missed.

• by Police Statement on Mar 12, 2011 at 03:47 PM
    I have been in the Air Force a Correctional Officer and a foreman on 2 juries and highly respected in our community but I have seen that cops are all to often, the little guy type that needs our worship and if not they break laws and then cover for each other. Yes cops murder. Not all as I have stated but any cop who kills or plants evidence, or perjures himself in court, (Mark Furman) should be dealt with far more severely. If any of you really believes that all your leaders are honest and that cops don't break laws then I can't help your delusional view of reality. I did not contradict myself, you are not reading correctly. I can't help that either. Some cops are OK and others are thugs. Are all humans the same? No, and so no 2 cops are the same but many, having no other friends but cops, tend to be more alike then not. This nation will be at war with itself and these cops will work for the corps. that seek to destroy our freedom and our wealth. If you don't see this I can't help you
  • by Police Statement on Mar 12, 2011 at 03:28 PM
    @ he who is afraid to say who he is, as a cop, or cop lover, you should not let your emotional state rule you. Name calling shows how given over to your hurt feeling you are and it is a bad combination to have little knowledge and an emotion driven hatred for reality. If you are so incompetent that you jump to outrageous conclusions based on 2 or 3 1000 letter comments. Why do you need my approval so badly? Is all the other peoples love for your service to the state not enough. Service, sir vice, wow, what a hero worshipper. I have a mind and can think beyond what the state tells me. B4 every shift, they tell how bad it is out there and make all those young simple cops paranoid and then send them to protect the other cops. How about the story of the guy who shot at the cops and got 144 years but the girl murdered and her killer got 2 years? Cops are not better, they are often worse but I didn't say all. You must be the dark and insecure type. I feel for your family as they suffer most.
  • by Police Statement on Mar 12, 2011 at 03:14 PM
    @ the cop who won't ID himself but thinks my name is Johnny, you are no doubt a cop who is so taken with your state given power. You should be with your hero Adolph Hitler. Simple people who believe anyone who speaks the truth is a terrorist is himself thinking as a nazi. So as a prison guard when I lived in IL the convicted cops that were in Menard Correctional Center were not murderers? Murder is murder and anyone who believes that cops don't murder are themselves in need of mental help. Yeah sure, all cops are good guys? Why, because they say so and you believe it? People die all the time. If cops get paid they don't need my praise. What, are they so small that they need my reassurance? If you were not yourself a cop I would feel sorry for you. I don't. Perhaps you will suffer the same fate and others will turn you into a martyr. I still won't care. You don't matter. Write and tell me what job I have, if u know so much. I'll say if right. Name calling shows you have no grounds.
  • by Anonymous Location: Rush, CO on Mar 11, 2011 at 03:29 PM
    Our prayers go out to the family! Rather than bickering over each other's comments on the news site we should all just say a prayer for them as they say goodbye to their loved one. This family has a long road ahead of them. Jay was doing his job and loving it. Opinions need to be kept quiet. His baby girl & his wife will be hurting for a long time. The last thing they need is people attacking Jay for what happened. This was in God's plan...whether you understand why or not...[Jay's family, we love you! Always!]
  • by Anonymous Location: Crowley County on Mar 11, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    Thinking of His wife and child and the rest of the family. All of us here in Crowley County have you in our thoughts and prayers.
  • by @Police Statement on Mar 11, 2011 at 07:39 AM
    "Little Johnny, did you forget to take your medicine son?". You are a disgrace to humanity, obviously off your rocker and medicine, and your mom should take away your xbox. Cops murder people? Thanks for making it blatantly obvious that you have mental issues and can't be taken serious. You actually sound like you might need to be on the terrorist watch list, psycho.
  • by Police Statement on Mar 10, 2011 at 09:58 PM
    @ Realist What does isolationism have to do with anything. Are you the same troll who believes in whatever the media lords tell you to believe? Trickle down stupidity. Yes he left a wife and child, so have so many people murdered by cops who just walk away. I did not say he murdered anyone but who knows but those it affects? There are many bad cops but you should have read what I wrote. Try reading before you attack. I said it was a tragedy but cops know if they live by the sword they may die by it. They are no more "heros" then the cook or anyone else and if they are seeking glory then they should be glad when they die. They are now martyrs to people like you. I am not simple nor gullible. Why do you love sounding oh so righteous. People die everyday. Why not sing all their praises? Read what I first wrote but I am not writing to his family. They will not be reading this anyway. Do you believe they will? If they do, they will want to change policy too. No talk radio foolishness.
  • by still Don't understand... Location: Colorado Springs on Mar 10, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    @Police statement...I am sure that some on the Police force are not as great at their job as others, just like with any job. I believe as a citizen you get what you give. I have never been disrespected by a Police Officer becuase I give them no reason to disrespect me. Try to do their job day after day and see what they see...it's a wonder THEY can still function normally when our society behaves the way it does and they have to deal with it day after day. I feel disrespectful even calling a policeman a "Cop" because I was taught that was not respectful. Shooting innocent people? Those "innocent" people as you put it shouldn't put themselves in a less than desirable situation to begin with and then maybe they wouldn't be shot. (You contradicted yourself all over the place in both of your statements.) That "Fat" motorcycle officer and the "butch woman" qualified to be on the force because they are upstanding citizens and qualified in many ways, would you?
  • by Realist Location: Boulder on Mar 10, 2011 at 08:37 PM
    Police Statement: Shame on you for parading your isolationist, fringe banter in this forum. Show some respect-didn't your parents teach you better? Our sympathies go out to all in Limon, especially the wife and daughter left behind.
  • by Police Statement on Mar 10, 2011 at 07:28 PM
    No one knows if they will be home to see their families any day. I no longer believe cops keep us safe. How can they? By law, they can't really do much until it's to late. We should thank everyone who serves their community including cops, teachers, tow truck drivers anyone who is helping others which is almost everyone in some form or fashion. I'm sorry if I sound as if I don't like cops, I just don't believe they are any greater or worse then anyone else. Some are bad and some are great but what is different with any other job? Nothing. We are all doing our part so I cannot hold cops in higher esteem then I already hold most people including them. Anyone who's job description that may call for the use of deadly force to another must know that others will see them as a threat and deal with that other persons response. Demanding respect is foolish. It is a paying job and that should be enough, that said, I am very grateful for the honest cops who are helping. Thanks to all.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117710033 - kktv.com/a?a=117710033