Authorities are blaming a destructive house fire in Thornton on a small marijuana growing operation in the basement.
Thornton Police spokesman Matt Barnes says the Tuesday morning fire was caused by overloaded extension cords associated with the growing of three pot plants.
He says the fire damage was extensive and the house is uninhabitable. No one was hurt.
No one has been charged with a crime, since Colorado's pot laws allow adults 21 and over to grow up to six plants at home. But Barnes says fires related to home growing operations have historically been a challenge because of the electrical problems they can cause.
Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.