KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo |  Breaking News| Weather | School Closings | Traffic

Mother, Daughter And Family Pet Escape Pueblo House Fire

A mother, daughter and family dog got out of their house without injuries after a fire started in the basement Wednesday morning.

The family woke up just before 6:40 a.m. after hearing the smoke alarm go off. The house was filled with smoke and flames were coming out of the basement vent as they raced outside.

"They were actually still in bed, came downstairs, saw the smoke, and got out of the house without any injuries. If it wasn't for that smoke detector, it could have been a lot worse," Captain Chris Harner with the Pueblo Fire Department said.

Firefighters had the main fire out within 10 minutes of arriving at the house on the 2400 block of North Greenwood. That's north of downtown Pueblo. The fire was under control by 7:50 a.m. Firefighters are still working to put out hot spots.

According to the fire department, the fire started in the basement, but because the house is old, the flames spread from the basement up the walls of the home. Some hot spots were found on the second floor.

Five engines responded to the fire. The fire department says the fire may have been caused by an electrical issue. They have ruled it accidental.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 263630841 - kktv.com/a?a=263630841