Mother, Daughter And Family Pet Escape Pueblo House Fire

By  | 

A mother, daughter and family dog got out of their house without injuries after a fire started in the basement Wednesday morning.

The family woke up just before 6:40 a.m. after hearing the smoke alarm go off. The house was filled with smoke and flames were coming out of the basement vent as they raced outside.

"They were actually still in bed, came downstairs, saw the smoke, and got out of the house without any injuries. If it wasn't for that smoke detector, it could have been a lot worse," Captain Chris Harner with the Pueblo Fire Department said.

Firefighters had the main fire out within 10 minutes of arriving at the house on the 2400 block of North Greenwood. That's north of downtown Pueblo. The fire was under control by 7:50 a.m. Firefighters are still working to put out hot spots.

According to the fire department, the fire started in the basement, but because the house is old, the flames spread from the basement up the walls of the home. Some hot spots were found on the second floor.

Five engines responded to the fire. The fire department says the fire may have been caused by an electrical issue. They have ruled it accidental.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus