All mandatory evacuations have been lifted for nearly 3,000 residents threatened by a massive Southern California wildfire.
U.S. Forest Service spokesman Nathan Judy says firefighters have contained 60 percent of the 50-square-mile Powerhouse Fire.
More than 2,000 firefighters have been battling the blaze that began Thursday.
Residents in some rural communities who were evacuated Saturday were allowed to return Monday afternoon. The fire remains active in the northwest, threatening about 275 homes, down from 1,000 earlier in the day.
The fire has destroyed six homes and damaged nine others. Three firefighters have minor injuries.
Judy says firefighters expect cooler temperatures, lighter winds and rising humidity to help them make more progress overnight, and helicopters will continue dropping water.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.