Firefighters were able to quickly knock out a fire at a home northeast of downtown Colorado Springs.
The fire was reported at a home on the 2200 block of Robin Drive, located near Constitution and Union, just before 9 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters initially believed that the family was home at the time and evacuated, but have now determined that no one was home when the fire started.
A neighbor tells 11 News that a family of three lives in the home; he says he went by the house to give the mother and child a ride, but they had already left. That's when he noticed smoke drifting from the house. He called 911, and the dispatcher told him the Fire Department had already been notified and was on its way.
Though the family is safe, they lost a number of pets in the fire, including cats and reptiles. Their dogs were outside, however, and did survive.
The extent of damage to the home is unknown at this time, but the Fire Department says the family will be displaced.